Saturday, February 25, 2017

From the Pedro Binder


2002 Flair

I honestly don't know what to make of this card. There's a lot going on. Some of it good, some of it not so good.

First, name and position in gold foil written sideways is about the worst decision a card company can make. I'm not sure it could be harder to read is it was in invisible ink. Awful. And, what's with the different fonts for the first and last name? Very strange.

I do like Pedro's number in outline. It's tucked in the corner, so it doesn't detract from the rest of the card. The rest of the shapes and stripes are, likewise, pretty well stuck to the side. I'm actually surprised how little the white stripe in the top corner and down the side bothers me. Although, all the stuff together makes it look like they're trying just a little too hard. The gold fillet in the corner seems out of place with the rest of the card. 

But, all the design elements do allow more room for the picture. Or, in this case, pictures. The two pictures give a bit of a 50's Topps feel with the large head shot, and the mini superimposed action shot. This isn't '56 Topps, but it has that element to it. I don't usually like the floating image idea, but it's not terrible in this case.

Put it all together, and I don't mind this card as much as I'd thought I would. Nothing jumps out as being great, but nothing really scares me away. It's just a different card.

And variety is usually a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week