Friday, July 23, 2021

Whitney Williams Visits Section 36!

Photo: West Wind Photography
Section 36 has another visitor! Whitney Williams is passionate about the arts, a talented twirler, and the current Miss Arkansas. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. I'm especially excited that she's the first visitor to Section 36 from the state of Arkansas!

So, let's see what happens when Whitney Williams visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Arkansas crown?

I was so happy that immediately following being named the new Miss Arkansas that my family and friends were allowed on stage for pictures and hugs. I was still in shock, but to know that I had made them proud and they could celebrate with me was so nice! 


What did you learn about yourself during the Miss Arkansas competition that will help you at Miss America?

Any amount of growth is a wonderful thing. I learned that I am resilient during Miss Arkansas week in so many was and that I have developed into a very mentally tough person that can handle pressure. This will be a very good quality to possess when performing for millions at Miss America.


What part of the Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

I am surprisingly not nervous about any portion of the competition. I know that if I prepare ahead of time that I can enjoy the competition with my friends and will have a wonderful time representing the best state. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Heart for the Arts”?

When I was seven years old I was diagnosed with dyslexia and was heavily bullied by my friends and also an educator. I had given up on myself and my education and no amount of outside learning help was working. Then I was introduced to the arts and my life changed forever. I could express myself and emotions without having to use words and could channel my hurt into positive works of art. 


As a talented baton twirler, what is your favorite part about performing?

I was ten years old when I started my baton twirling career which is almost six years after everyone else typically does. For the first several years I was playing catch up to the young women my own age in twirling. I learned how to push myself to new levels that I didn’t believe were possible and I continue to enjoy the challenging aspect of learning new tricks or twirling under extreme pressure.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Belle! Especially from the live action version because I love love love Emma Watson. Belle is strong, brave, and beautiful.


You’re majoring in speech language pathology. What do you see yourself doing in that field?

When I was adopted from Little Rock Arkansas my family was so excited and ready to welcome me into their family. However, I had a condition called dysphagia, which is a swallowing disorder and I was unable to join my family in my new home. With the help of SLPs I was able to get the nutrients I needed and go home with my loving family. I plan to specialize in dysphagia and in the future to open my own practice while incorporating art therapy. 


If you had an extra ticket to see an Arkansas Travelers baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

I have enjoyed watching the Arkansas Travelers for the duration of my time in Fayetteville! My dad is my best friend and we both enjoy watching baseball together. It would be so much fun to enjoy the game with my father. 


Is there a feature or activity during a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I think it would be amazing to receive a signed baseball from one of the players and experience what it is like in the dugout! 


---

That does sound like fun! 

As always, I want to thank Whitney for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Whitney continues her time as Miss Arkansas, I encourage you to follow her title's Instagram and Facebook account. You can also check out the Miss Arkansas website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

 
I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Whitney, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week