Friday, June 11, 2021

Harley Tilque Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Harley Tilque is passionate about early action to fight cancer, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Metrolina's Outstanding Teen. I was excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.
 
So, let's see what happens when Harley Tilque visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Metrolina’s Outstanding Teen crown?

Well of course no celebration is complete without a dinner and dessert.  So I went to Applebee’s with some of my friends and family! It was such a fun night and we were there celebrating until the restaurant closed.


How did you select your social impact initiative dealing with Ovarian Cancer Awareness?

In 2012 my grandmother was diagnosed with stage 4 ovarian cancer.  She was only given 2 month to live. However, she was offered the opportunity to become part of a research study and was given 5 more years with us.


After we lost her unexpectedly (she was cancer free when she

passed), I decided to change my platform to T.E.A.L. -Take Early Action & Live. I wanted to continue what she had started and honor her as well.

After a lot of research I learned that the symptoms of this disease are very vague and only 15% get diagnosed in the early stages. I also learned that it also does not get the funding it deserves because there is no screening test to detect this “silent killer”, the nickname for ovarian cancer. Over the past 3 years I have been developing my platform, I have raised over $4,000 towards research, have helped to spread

the word about the symptoms

and hopefully will be able to help families across the country.


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Metrolina’s Outstanding Teen?

Only time will tell but I hope to become the next Miss North Carolina Outstanding Teen! My committee has helped me prepare for this pageant for almost 2 years and I am ready to show everyone all the hard work i’ve put in.


You recently had the opportunity to compete in the Summit cheer competition. What was that experience like?

IT WAS A DREAM! Being new to the cheer community it was honestly overwhelming. Summit is like the super bowl for cheerleaders and if you are lucky enough to win, you get a personalized ring! My team had worked so hard the entire season and we were so proud of the performance we left on the mat. All the support from the team and parents was so electric to be around and we even got to go to Animal Kingdom and MGM Hollywood Studios.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

For sure Venellope Von Schweetz from Wreck-It-Ralph. Not only does she get to race go-karts made from Candy but she has an amazing best friend like Ralph to always hang with. I would love to be in her place and live in Candy Land, sounds like heaven to me.


If you had an extra ticket to a Charlotte Knights game, who would you take with you? Why?

Thomas Rhett! I am a huuuugee country fan and especially of

Thomas Rhett. I not only love to follow his new songs but all the new updates with his life and family. He is definitely a role model I look up to for advice and would give anything to sit down and watch some baseball with him.


Is there a feature or activity at a Charlotte Knights game that you’d especially like to experience?

I think it’s be really cool to throw the first pitch at a game. Even as a competitive dancer and cheerleader, coordination isn’t always my friend so I’m not sure how far the ball will go but I am always open to trying new things.


---

I agree, that would be a fun experience!

As always, I want to thank Harley for visiting with us, and for sending along the fantastic pictures to go with the interview.

I encourage you to follow Harley on her title's Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss North Carolina's Outstanding Teen title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!
 
Thanks again Harley, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week