Thursday, June 10, 2021

A Swing and a Trade Post

A few months ago I got a note from Swing and a Pop-Up saying he had some Red Sox dupes that I could probably use more than he could. I'm always willing to get new Red Sox cards, so I graciously accepted and a swap was made. I couldn't believe the generous pile that arrived at my door! Let's check out just some of the highlights.


The "Trading Places" card is funny to me. I don't remember that subset being all inclusive. So, the fact that they decided to make a card celebrating Mark Loretta changing teams seems like an interesting choice. The UD Masterpieces is another oddity. The whole idea of the set, I thought, was to make the cards look like classical paintings. The added inset seems out of place, even if I understand that they wanted to show off the ankle.


Jay Payton looks scared, to me.


Rickey Henderson was 43 years old with the Red Sox in 2002. He only saw limited action, but I remember being blown away by how he terrorized pitchers on the base paths. When he was on first, you could just feel the game change. I can't even imagine what that would have been like in his prime when he was stealing 100 bases a year. He should have been MVP every year. Sort of like Pedro. Always fun to get a card of his I don't have.


Nomar too. I know he has a TON of cards out there, but I have a ton of Nomar and Pedro cards in my collection so it always surprises me to find ones I don't have.


Look! Two more! I don't know if I've ever seen 2001 Opening Day before. That logo isn't exactly subtle.


More Nomars!


These are the Opening Days I'm used to seeing. The small logo making them basic duplicates of the base Topps sets. Can you even tell which one of the four isn't Opening Day?


Papi was supposed to be a utility guy and ended up a legend. Ball was supposed to be a legend...but wasn't.


A picture of Will Middlebrooks diving on a 2013 card. That, of course, reminds me of the terrible interference call on Will during the 2013 World Series. I don't like being reminded of that.


What did I JUST say?


That's better. Hard to remember a more dominant pitching performance than Beckett during the 2007 postseason. (Well, other than Pedro during every stretch of his career.) 


Always enjoyed the Bowman Platinum brand, even when it features Ryan Kalish.


A couple more Sox stars.


Love that Lester card.


And, of course, the Pedro card.


Not sure if there was a more overrated player during his tenure. For some reason Boston fans prefer dirt to talent. I may never understand that.


This set basically escaped me. So glad to be able to add some to the binder.


Way back to the early years of Topps Gold.


Even a little earlier.


Lots of pitchers. Some good, some not so good.

So, there are the highlights of an incredible shipment. I can't thank SAAP enough for sending them along.

Hopefully more Red Sox swings lead to line drives.

1 comment:

  1. I'm always happy to look at Red Sox cards! It's hard to pick a favorite - probably Rickey, Papi, or *gulp* Middlebrooks!

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week