Friday, March 20, 2020

Emily Grimmius Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Emily Grimmius is passionate about reading, a talented saxophonist, and the current Miss San Joaquin County. I was thrilled she was willing to visit with us and discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let’s see what happens when Emily Grimmius visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss San Joaquin County crown?
I was SO THRILLED to earn the title of Miss San Joaquin County!  There are a few pictures where I was just screaming along with the amazing friends I came to know throughout competition prep.  I didn't really have words, just excitement.  My brain was pretty "fried" and all I thought was "wow, you did it!"  After pictures, my family was there to support me and congratulate me.  They are invested just as much as I am!  Afterwards, a few of my Miss California Class of 2020 and I went out to celebrate the best way in California; In-N-Out milkshakes!  I'm so grateful for the support of Miss Sierra Nevada, Miss Yosemite Valley, and Miss San Fernando Valley for being true sisters.

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss San Joaquin County?
There are so many goals I have for my year!  I'm excited to bring my saxophone to the Miss California stage, grow our local Miss San Joaquin County Scholarship Program, advocate for children's literacy in California, and to meet as many people as I possibly can.  If I have to pick one goal, I'm really excited to demonstrate that Miss America values are prevalent in every community through local businesses, daily role models, and our titleholders.  To see how Miss America values are in our communities, visit bit.ly/californiaspearl

What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss San Joaquin County?
Photo by Image Society
The Miss America Organization has received much criticism these past couple years with organization changes, removal of the swimsuit competition, and those who do not believe in the Organization's mission.  Despite this, any time I tell someone I am Miss San Joaquin County, their reaction surprises me every time.  People ask questions, are enthusiastic, and always ask how they can get involved.  I'm inspired daily by this enthusiasm because I know that the amplified voice a title gives young women allows us to enact tangible change in our communities, and earn scholarships for higher education.  I am so proud to be Miss San Joaquin County and love sharing this mission with everyone, whether they are school children I'm reading to or people in the grocery check-out line.

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Read Dream Succeed California™”?
Photo by Image Society
I founded Read Dream Succeed California™ with the simple love of reading.  I was the kid that got in trouble late at night for reading under the covers with a flashlight.  I look at the divisive state of our country, and see business owners struggling to promote their organizations, and children studying to better their socioeconomic status.  Literacy is the common link!  To think critically and solve any problem, the ability to read is paramount.  I'm a titleholder, small business owner, and future lawyer because of my ability to read--and my confidence to pursue my dreams. 61% of San Joaquin County elementary students can't read, 25% of all California students are unable to perform basic reading skills, and 45 million U.S. adults are functionally illiterate--unable to read above a 5th grade level.  But more than anything, I realized many of my classmates from middle and high school didn't believe in their ability to achieve their dreams.  By partnering with the Miss California and Miss America Organizations, I'm excited to spread the effects of the organization while utilizing this platform to help students believe in their dreams and have the ability to achieve them through reading.
(Source: University of the Pacific, California Policy Center, The Literacy Project)

As a talented saxophonist, what do you like most about performing on stage?
Photo by Image Society
My family likes to call me "Professor Emily".  When I start discussion or learning about history, politics, or other subjects I dive in deep and am very passionate.  I spent a lot of time with my nose in a book growing up, but I have a big personality I like to share with the world.  I wanted to play the saxophone because my middle school jazz band was where all the "cool" kids were at.  Playing the saxophone is a bold instrument that takes skill, passion, and personality to play with vigor.  It's absolutely perfect for me, and performing anywhere provides a creative outlet.  In high school I competed in concert band, jazz band, basket ball band, and marching band.  I loved every second of it, and playing a variety of musical genres.  I hope every students gets the chance to pursue a musical education if they desire.  Walking onto the Miss San Joaquin County stage with my sax after years of not performing publicly was the greatest gift I could have received.  I'm thrilled to bring my sax to the Miss California stage and just let go, be myself, and share my love of music with everyone.  

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you be? Why?
BELLE!  Growing up I always wanted her library and I was impressed with how she put the unruly Gaston in his place while standing up for herself.  And if you've seen the live-action version, I must say Emma Watson as Belle further inspired me even as an adult.  Belle was the first television or film character that helped me realize a woman can be strong, independent, smart, pretty, really anything she wants to be. 

What is your personal fitness routine?
I currently belong to a gym where I get regular cardio and swimming workouts in.  But my favorite thing to do is dance!  I may not be a classically trained ballerina, but I am having a fabulous time with ballroom dance lessons.  They even teach swing dancing so I'm always prepared any time the country music comes on!  Being both physically and mentally healthy is key, and for me that includes finding a way to have fun while staying fit.

If you had an extra ticket to a Giants - A’s game, who would you bring with you? Why?
I would absolutely bring my brother!  He is definitely my go-to for any sporting event because we have so much fun together.  The best memories in life are made with those you love and are here for you. I couldn't ask for a better Giants-A's game partner!

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

My favorite thing to do at a baseball game is to eat a box of cracker jacks.  It's silly, but it started when I was a kid thanks to the song "Take Me Out to the Ballgame".  They are absolutely delicious and when do you eat them otherwise?  Moving forward, I would really love to play the Star Spangled Banner on my sax at a game.  Any takers Oakland A's, Giants, Modesto Nuts?  

---

I certainly hope she gets that chance!

As usual, I want to thank Emily for visiting and for sending along the wonderful pictures that accompany the interview. They make the post so much better.

As Emily continues her time as Miss San Joaquin County, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram account and Facebook page. It’s the best way to make sure you don’t miss out on everything she’ll have going on.

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss California title. It would be great to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Emily, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week