Friday, March 6, 2020

Marisa Gomez Visits Section 36!

Photo by BE Studios

Section 36 has another visitor! Marisa Gomez is passionate about voter registration, a talented singer, and the current Miss Greater New York. I was excited she was willing to talk with us and discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let’s see what happens when Marisa Gomez visits Section 36!

1. How did you celebrate winning the Miss Greater New York crown?
Being from California, my family was unable to attend the competition. So, first, I had to deliver the news! I was thrilled and shocked to be given this opportunity after my first time competing in the Miss America Organization. My sisters, specifically, wanted to know all about the competition so I spent the rest of that night on the phone with them!

2. What part of the upcoming Miss New York competition are you most nervous about?
I'm most nervous for the talent competition. It's worth so much of the final score and I think it requires the most prep.

3. Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Greater New York?
Of course, I want to register as many voters as possible but I really want to reach low income and diverse communities and inspire kids in these demographics to look forward to registering to vote as much as they look forward to getting a driver's license or going to college. I want to connect to these communities and let them know that someone has their interests at heart.

4. How did you select your social impact initiative, “Mobilizing the Young Electorate”?
I've been working on voter rights issues for about 5 years now. In 2015, I worked for the Independent Voter Network and Independent Voter Project and eventually ended up speaking in front of the San Diego Rules Committee and City Council. The Ballot measure that I spoke on ended up passing in November of 2016. It was a huge win for San Diego voters.

I learned so much about voter disenfranchisement issues and it really set me on fire for this issue. We have a right to express our opinions at the polls and we SHOULD if we ever want our government to more accurately represent us. Of course, there are barriers to voting but that is for people like me to work out. For everyone else, showing up to the polls is key.

I also think that 2020 is especially the time for this. We are facing the most consequential election of our time. It is unfortunate that voting has become such a neutral word to so many people. To me, the word carries a lot of weight. Right now, healthcare, climate change, and immigration are the issues that I am most concerned about. Not everyone will vote like me or care about these issues but the goal of my platform isn't to promote my beliefs but rather to promote the diversity of beliefs that exist in our country. Democracies function best when the most people participate. I'd like to see that happen.

5. As a talented singer, what do you like most about performing on stage?
I have always loved the way that performing makes me feel. I was a really shy kid and it definitely took performing to get me to trust my instincts, be confident, and be kind to myself. Its amazing when people enjoy it too but it has always been a challenge and journey of self discovery for me. I think I am a better performer when I perform for the love of it and show a piece of myself through whatever piece I decide to perform. 

I am heavily considering exploring one of my other loves and talents for the Miss New York Competition. I have been tap dancing since I was twelve and I think that tap dancing to a fun song and will motivate me to get back into exercising a talent that I've missed for the past few years.

6. You are currently a student at Fordham Law. What are your goals within that field?
I've always seen law as a really empowering profession. It is
Photo by BE Studios
essential for individuals to know their rights in order to be treated fairly. Right now, my sights are set on commercial litigation at a firm. The firm that I am working for this summer allows lots of pro bono work to be a part of its attorneys' practices and I'd really like to use that opportunity to work on immigration, women, and voter rights cases.

7. Your great grandfather played for both the Yankees and Red Sox. What can you tell me about him?
Of course! His name was Eddie Farrell. They called him 'Doc' Farrell because he was a dentist. He played between 1925 and 1935 and played for the Yankees in 1932 when they won the World Series. He died before I was born but my maternal grandmother speaks of him often and fondly.

8. If you had an extra ticket to a Red Sox-Yankees game, who would you bring with you? Why?
My friend Jenny loves baseball and she would absolutely come with me. As someone who grew up in theater, few of my friends are interested in sports but I think it would be a lot of fun to go with her!

9. Is there a feature or activity at baseball that you’d especially like to experience?
I would love to sing the national anthem at a baseball game one day. It would be such an incredible honor and I imagine that it would be really fun!

---

That would be wonderful if she could get that done!

As usual, I want to thank Marisa for visiting and for sending along the great pictures that accompany the interview. They always make it so much more fun!

As Marisa continues her time as Miss Greater New York, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram account. It’s the best way to make sure you don’t miss out on everything she’ll have going on.

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss New York title. It would be great for another Section 36 visitor to wear that crown!

Thanks again Marisa, and good luck!

4 comments:

  1. "Miss Greater New York"?

    Is there no end to the "awards" our "participation trophy" culture passes out these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Anonymous"?

      Why don't you go out and do something positive for society instead of insulting others? Or at least have the guts to use your real name if you're going to be a d*ck.

      Delete
  2. Hi, there’s many titles in the Miss America Organization! Miss Greater New York was the first MAO local in New York City this year. I feel really fortunate to have won the first local program of the 2020 season and I’m really excited to have this title. It required a lot of hard work and I’m excited that many women that I competed against won subsequent titles and are able to join me at Miss New York.

    -Miss GNY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for another great article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a perfect way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such information.
    emergency dentist

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week