Sunday, November 2, 2014

From the Pedro Binder

2001 Fleer Showcase

OK. first of all, lets pretend that my scanner didn't catch this card just before it spun out of control into a nearby tree.

After that, I'm not sure what to make of this card. On paper, it meets the checklist of things I like pretty well, but they all have qualifiers. I like how small the Showcase logo is. But, they cut a box in the middle of the design to help it stand out. Pedro's name is in nice block letters. But, they're gold, sideways, and partially obscured by his hand. I like the picture having the ball in mid-flight. But, it's right in front of Pedro's face. I like how the color scheme lets Pedro pop. But, the square graphics are a little distracting.

What does that mean? I guess, much like the color scheme, I'm pretty neutral. I can't really get excited about it either way. I can't hate it, But, if I'm ranking my favorite Pedro cards, it would take a while to get to this one.

I wonder how Fleer would feel about that. With so many sets, were they just aiming to not turn collectors away? Sure, the best idea is a design that would actually draw collectors to the set. But, really, what are the odds of that? Maybe the best they're hoping for is "adequate"? If they're making ten different sets, as long as I'm willing to buy all ten, that might be a win for them.

It certainly seems to be their goal sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week