Saturday, November 27, 2010

Theology By: John Frascella

This book explores the life and career of Red Sox general manager
Theo Epstein. As most coverage of Theo, it focuses on his career, more than his life. But, the life story does supply important background into the man who holds the career. The book discusses Theo’s goals and views, and how they play out on the baseball field. The subtitle of the book, “How a Boy Wonder Led the Red Sox to the Promised Land” really tells you everything you need to know about what the book covers. It’s a detailed look into the general manage who brought the Red Sox 2 World Series titles in four years.

This book is mostly a collection of research assembled by the author. As such, it is not full of new information. It is, however, organized to give a great story to that research. The author takes a casual approach to his writing. He talks to the reader, which I found disarming at times. (It was weird that I felt that way, since I tend to talk to the reader a lot, right?) But, it certainly didn’t detract from the flow of the book. The casualness occasionally cut back on the quality a bit. It’s sometimes hard to take a paragraph seriously when there are little quips in it. But, again, those instances didn’t detract from the overall storyline. As such, this is a great book. It allows the reader to follow behind the scenes of the Red Sox. It allowed me to put events that I thought I remembered into their proper order and significance. I have read just about everything I can get my hands on when it comes to the world champion Red Sox, as I’m sure many of you have. So, it’s hard to surprise me at this point. But, this book was an enjoyable read.

Rating: 3 bases

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week