Friday, February 9, 2024

Shannon Kelly Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Shannon Kelly is passionate about self-care, a talented singer, and the current Miss Champlain Valley. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Shannon Kelly visits Section 36!

What made you decide to try for the Miss Vermont crown as Miss Champlain Valley?

I began getting involved with the Miss Vermont Scholarship Organization in 2020 because I was looking for a performing arts opportunity in the midst of lockdown. 4 years later, I’ve acquired key skills, made lifelong friendships, and learned to value myself in ways that make me so excited to come back and rock the Miss Vermont 2024 stage!


What is something Yamuna Turco is doing as Miss Vermont that you would want to emulate?

Yamuna has served wonderfully as Miss Vermont, and will leave a lasting impression on the legacy of the organization. One of the things I admire most about her reign and hope to emulate with mine is her sense of joy. Yamuna is able to brighten up any room she walks into, and can make anyone feel comfortable and important when they talk to her. 


How would you complete the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when ___”?

I get great satisfaction when I can make people smile! In my everyday life, I’m always cracking jokes, and i’m a fierce optimist. If I can brighten someone’s day with a compliment or a story, there is no greater prize. 


How did you select your community service initiative Self C.A.R.E.?

My Community Service Initiative, Self CARE: Creating Accessible Resources for Everyone, was formed after I realized how deeply basic self care was impacting my mental health. As someone diagnosed with anxiety, depression, and ADHD, finding the motivation to perform simple self care tasks can be challenging for me. Through competing, I began to rediscover the drive to take care of myself, in order to make myself feel and look good. I realized that in order to make self care a bigger part of peoples lives, someone needed to talk about it and find ways to make it more accessible for lower income folks.


As a talented singer, what is your favorite part about performing your talent on stage?

As a theater major, I love being given opportunities to perform. My favorite part of performing my Miss Vermont 2024 talent is telling a story of determination and hope. The character in my song has struggled, but she’s sure that through perseverance, she can achieve her goals.


You are currently a theatre major at Borough of Manhattan CC. Where do you see your studies taking you?

After I graduate college, I’d love to become a professional actor or director. Theater is what I’m more familiar with, but I’d love the opportunity to try working in film as well!


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

If I could be any Disney character for a week, I’d be Tinker Bell! I’ve seen every Tinker Bell movie, and she was always my favorite character growing up. I love her friends, fashion, and being able to fly doesn’t hurt either! 


If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play at Fenway Park, who would you take with you? Why?

If I could see the Red Sox play at Fenway Park, I would take my little brother with me! I love spending time with him, and we would have an awesome time together. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

In the past Miss Vermont and Miss Vermont’s Teen have been able to throw the first pitch for Vermont’s baseball team, the Vermont Lake Monsters! If crowned that’s an event I’d be stoked to participate in! 


---

A first pitch is always a fun time. Hope she can make that happen!

As always, I want to thank Shannon for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with her during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account, as well as her personal website
They're both great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Shannon, and good luck in the future!



No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week