Friday, September 8, 2023

Allison Burke Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Allison Burke is passionate about combating childhood hunger, a talented violinist, and the current Miss Oregon. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Allison Burke visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Oregon crown?

My family and I went to visit my sister and brother-in-law, who live in Italy, and we spent some time traveling around Eastern Europe together while celebrating this special time in all our lives!

 

What is something that Sophia Takla did as Miss Oregon that you would like to emulate?

Sophia was an exemplary Miss Oregon and she is a dear friend and an inspiration to so many. One of the many impressive parts of her year of service was her ability to forge so many new partnerships with non-profits. Sophia worked tirelessly to create new volunteer and appearance opportunities for the Miss Oregon Scholarship Program and I will continue on her legacy to connect with more Oregonians. 

 

What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?

Probably the health and fitness competition, because it’s the newest phase, and I have only competed in it once before Miss America. 

 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Hunger-Free Oregon”?

Back in 2011, I served as Tigard’s elected Youth Advisory Council President. In that role, I witnessed a lack of access to nutritious meals for children in my city over their weekends and holiday breaks. For the next three summers in Tigard, I led the council in organizing fundraising events and collected food donations to establish a food pantry known as a “Backpack Program”. 

 

Our inaugural program was at Durham Elementary, the same school I had attended as a child. Its goal was to discreetly provide food staples to children via a backpack that they could take home for the weekend. 

 

As a result of my work as a leader in combating hunger, I was awarded Tigard Volunteer of the Year by our mayor. The subsequent years of success of The Backpack Program propelled me to seek out anti-hunger advocacy as the basis for my education and career in government. It was then a natural fit for me to choose “Hunger-Free Oregon” as my social impact when I first started competing in the Miss America Organization. 

 

As a talented violinist, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

There’s a quote that says, “Music communicates what is not possible for words to say”. When I can see people’s faces light up and connect with them through performing violin, it’s magical. My favorite performances are of songs that spark joy in folks, like The Beatles and Frank Sinatra, in which people dance in their chair, sing along or clap to the beat!

 

You have a degree in public health from Portland State University. Where do you see those studies taking you?

My studies in public health and activism with Hunger-Free Oregon and America over the last decade fueled my passion for policy and connecting with people from all walks of life and that led me to pursue my work in the United States Congress. 

 

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would be Marnie from Halloweentown! I love Halloween and spooky things and it would be fun to have magical powers and live in a Halloween themed city for a week. 

 

If you had an extra ticket to see a Hillsboro Hops baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

My dad. We are both big fans of baseball and we have loved watching the Hops play a few times before. There’s nothing better than enjoying a breezy Oregon summer evening with a hot dog and a great baseball game!

 

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’d love to perform the national anthem on violin or throw the first pitch! I haven’t done either before and I would love to experience that as Miss Oregon. 


---

I definitely hope she gets to do both!

As always, I want to thank Allison for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss America! It would be fantastic to have yet another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Allison during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account, Facebook page, and website
They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. You should also follow her CSI's Instagram to see what's going on there. Go ahead and do it all!


Thanks again Allison, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week