Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Sydney Helgeson Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Sydney Helgeson is passionate about strong communities, a talented performer, and the current Miss North Dakota. I was so thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Sydney Helgeson visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss North Dakota crown?

After participating in the Miss North Dakota Organization for 11 years, it was an absolute honor to be crowned on our 75th Diamond Anniversary. After a week-long competition, I was excited to celebrate with my family and friends who came to Williston to cheer me on as I pursued this dream of mine. The Miss North Dakota sisterhood is strong and it was incredibly special to celebrate with the more than 30 forever Miss North Dakota's who came back for this year's competition.


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss North Dakota Competition that will help you at Miss America?

I learned to trust in my preparation and the Lord's plan for me. Serving as Miss North Dakota is a goal that I have spent years working towards and I had to believe that I was ready and let my passion shine through to the judges. At Miss America, I plan to trust in my purpose and take in every moment. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I can't wait to walk away with 50 new lifelong friends!


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss North Dakota?

As Miss North Dakota my biggest goal is to unite people to build stronger communities across our state. I want to inspire people to lead with compassion and get involved in their communities no matter their age. No one individual is too young to make a change. I plan to maximize my impact by partnering with all eight United Way affiliates in our state as I believe they do the best job uniting people and resources to build stronger communities. In addition to advocating for the United Way, I want to be an ambassador for the Miss North Dakota Organization and grow this program by recruiting contestants and sponsors.


How did you select your community Service Initiative, “Live United: Building Strong Communities Together”?

In 2021, I began interning at the Missouri Slope Areawide United Way in Bismarck, ND and by serving in that capacity, I saw first-hand the significant, life changing impact being made in our local community. United Way wasn’t just looking to provide a temporary fix, but rather striving to create lasting change to our community’s most critical issues. From sheltering 50 individuals a night through their Emergency Homeless Shelter, combating food insecurity by feeding more than 1,600 children a week through their Backpack Program, providing 3,600 books to children, supporting dozens of partner agencies, and so much more, the United Way builds stronger communities. This is a mission I am passionate about, believe in, and want to work toward elevating. Now more than ever, we need to work together to activate communities, empower volunteers, and live united. 


As a talented singer, what do you enjoy about performing on stage?

The talent portion of competition is what initially drew me to the Miss America Organization. At 11 years old, I actually started competing as a piano player. Then, at the teen level, I sang while accompanying myself on the piano. The most special talent I've performed was at the Miss America's Teen Competition when I wore my grandmother's dress from 1961 (the one she wore when she placed 1st runner up at Miss North Dakota) and sang Elvis Presley's "Can't Help Falling in Love" (released in 1961). It was so special to share that connection with my grandmother and have her there to support me on the national stage. As a Miss candidate, I have enjoyed performing Broadway pieces for the talent competition. These pieces have allowed me to play a character and tell a story through my performance.


What is your personal fitness routine?

Health and fitness are a constant priority in my life and I’m excited to promote wellness through #MissAmericaFit. The partnership with the American Heart Association will raise awareness of women’s heart health and help women! I believe it is critical to be comfortable and confident in your own skin. I stay healthy by getting plenty of sleep, drinking lots of water, and being active. I go to the gym, play tennis, hike, or simply go for a walk around my neighborhood.


You recently graduated with a degree in commerce and business administration. Where do you see those studies taking you?

I plan to use my passion and experience to pursue a fulfilling career in the nonprofit industry, eventually working my way up to the CEO. I think nonprofit organizations need to be run like a business to make the biggest impact, so I am confident my management degree will help me in this career path. Additionally, through my music minor, I had the opportunity to take classes tailored towards managing nonprofit arts organizations such as Music Management, Marketing the Arts, and Raising Money Dev Arts, which provided an insightful look into the industry and confirmation of my career goals.


If you had an extra ticket to a Bismarck Larks baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

I would bring my cousin Bryce, because he's a high school baseball player in West Fargo, ND and loves baseball more than anyone I know! The past two summers, his team has made it to the World Series in their division. I am excited to be singing the National Anthem at the Bismarck Larks game on August 1st.


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

As Miss North Dakota, I'd love the opportunity to throw the first pitch at a baseball game! (I'd just love a heads up so I can practice first :))


---

Practicing is a good idea. Crazy how far 60' really is!

As always, I want to thank Sydney for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss America! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Sydney during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account and website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on, and you'll be sure not to miss anything. 


Thanks again Sydney, and good luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week