Friday, August 26, 2022

Abby Mansolillo Visits Section 36!

Photo: Daniel Gagnon
Section 36 had another visitor! 
Abby Mansolillo is passionate about trusting your gut, a talented speaker, and the current Miss Rhode Island. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Abby Mansolillo visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Rhode Island crown?

I am so lucky to have an incredible support system behind me. When I won, I had family and a few close friends at my house for dinner (and cake, of course). After the competition however, I dove into studying for my law school finals, and began my year as Miss Rhode Island! 

 

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Rhode Island Competition that will help you at Miss America?

Photo: Daniel Gagnon
When we compete for any title, it’s easy to say that we’ve learned specific skill sets that’ll help us at the national level. The Miss Rhode Island Organization has definitely helped me with my interview skills that I have already used to further my career goals, it helped re-affirm stage presence and commanding an audience, and of course, advocating for a cause and organization that is important to me. However, at Miss Rhode Island, I really focused on myself and how I would put forth the best version of “Abby Mansolillo” - I asked myself what I wanted to get out of the whole experience; and worried about my own performance. That’s absolutely a message I want other young women to hear: stay in your lane and worry about the work and the performance you put out to the world. Don’t look at anyone else - be so busy watering your own garden to see if someone else’s grass is greener. When we get past those mental obstacles; that someone else is more intelligent, more talented, or has a better gown, even, that’s when we’re really able to tap into our fullest potential. 

 

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Rhode Island?

My biggest goal is to be the very first Miss America from Rhode Island! Our state has not had a top five placement at Miss America since Marilyn Cocozza Trillo, Miss Rhode Island 1967, who was Third - Runner Up at Miss America.  

 

I also hope to grow this organization. I think it’s important that we inform young women across the state about the benefits of becoming a candidate in the Miss Rhode Island Scholarship Organization - because that’s exactly what it is; a scholarship organization. Miss America is the largest scholarship provider for young women across the country; and women do not have to win the title to win scholarship money! It is also a great way to practice your interview skills that are helpful for career paths or for pursuing higher degrees, and of course, introduces young women to other like minded individuals who are devoted to bettering themselves and the community. 

 

Finally, I am so excited to grow my social impact initiative, “Trust Your Gut”. I am looking forward to partnering with health advocacy groups to achieve two goals; the first is to encourage patients to know that they have options when it comes to their health, and the importance of consulting doctors for multiple opinions to make informed decisions and to improve their quality of care! The second is to focus on future healthcare providers, and to encourage them to provide patients with the tools to make such informed decisions. Ultimately, improved communication between patents and healthcare providers means improved care. 

 

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Trust Your Gut”?

My Social Impact Initiative is “Trust Your Gut: Be Your Own Health Advocate”, where I plan to continue encouraging young adults, especially young women, to listen to their bodies, know their family history, and maintain open and honest communication with their healthcare providers. My mother received a cancer diagnosis in 2019, and had a cancerous GIST (Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor) removed. It is because of her advocacy and push for medical testing that she is cancer - free; but still is under supervision of Dana Farber Cancer Institute. In honor of her, I created “Trust Your Gut” to increase access to tools to improve care from their healthcare providers. 

 

As a talented singer, what do you enjoy about performing on stage?

I haven’t sang in a VERY long time! My talent for Miss Rhode Island was performing a dramatic monologue from the movie “On the Basis of Sex” about the story of United States Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I love performing and being onstage - I think it’s a really beautiful thing to break down the third wall between myself and the audience and connect in that intimate way. It’s an adrenaline rush that absolutely cannot be replicated; taking on the role that I chose is exciting because I want to do it justice and bring the character that I channel to life. 

 

What is your personal fitness routine?

I’ve been practicing yoga for about six years, and I love hot power yoga! I’ve tried many different workouts - spin, kickboxing, running, but I’ve stuck with yoga and I still enjoy going to the gym. I definitely believe that fitness is not just exercise - it’s also taking care of yourself from the inside out. It’s making sure I drink more water than I do coffee (which I admittedly need to work on), getting outside and going for a walk, and making sure that I’m fueled appropriately. I love food - I even have an Instagram account called “Abbyssnacks” where I post about different restaurants that I frequent - and I have worked with a nutritionist since I was in high school!  

 

You’re currently pursuing a law degree at Roger Williams University School of Law. What drew you to that field?

My mother went to law school, graduating from Southern New England School of Law (which is now UMass Dartmouth), and my grandfather (her father), Louis V. Jackvony, was an attorney in Rhode Island for many years. It was certainly their influence, but my mom knew I had to come to it on my own; and I did! 

 

I think people forget that by signing up to be an attorney, you are signing up to be a public servant. You are there to help those who are in need of legal assistance, and often, to represent your state’s legal system. I am a summer legal intern at the Department of the Attorney General in Rhode Island, in the Narcotics Division and my ultimate goal is to become the second female Attorney General of Rhode Island. Being there has taught me the importance of public service, keeping our state and our citizens safe, and the significance of maintaining the integrity of the legal field. 

 

If you had an extra ticket to see the Red Sox play at Fenway, who would you take with you? Why?

Definitely my dad! I remember him watching the Boston Red Sox play the Yankees when I was a little girl.  

 

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

My family will totally make fun of me because my throw is sub-par at best; but it would be SO much fun to throw the first pitch of the game! I just may need some help; are there practice throws? 


---

Oh, I imagine she could get a practice toss or two in there! 

As always, I want to thank Abby for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Abby continues her time as Miss Rhode Island, I encourage you to check out her title's website and Instagram. You should also visit the Instagram for her SII. And, why not check out her snacks Instagram too! They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Abby, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week