Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Lora Current Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! Lora Current is passionate about reading, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Ohio. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.


So, let's see what happens when Lora Current visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Ohio crown? 
Really reflecting on where I’d been. A lot happened (Covid-19) during my first year competing but through that there was a lot of growing done on my part. After getting crowned I spent much of my time in conversations with my mentor to unpack the experience.

What part of the upcoming Miss America competition are you most nervous about?
Talent! During my freshman year of college I broke my pelvic bone pole vaulting. Due to complications, I still have some pain in my hip and it can make jazz dancing a challenge. However, I didn’t want to switch my talent to anything else because of my love for dance that I want to showcase!

You were recently able to appear in the iconic Show Us Your Shoes parade at the Miss America 100th anniversary celebration. What was that experience like?
It was so much fun! I was able highlight my background in agriculture with a 4H theme. It opened up many conversations about Ohio agriculture, food production, and the 4-H program. It was also so fun seeing all the other candidates in their costumes and learning about things that make their home state special and unique.

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Read On: Empowering Literacy, Learning, and Leadership”?
Entering my first year of junior high, I was enrolled in tutoring for my reading and cognitive skills. I hated being in this tutoring because it made me feel different from my peers and less valuable. However because of these resources and the support from my family and teachers, I was able to catch up to the reading levels of my peers and graduate high school early. Now is a senior in college, I am able to provide those same resources that I received to students who struggle in school just like I did. This was the goal behind creating ReadOn and it continues to shape and push my goals going into Miss America and beyond.

As a talented dancer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?
I love that it brings out emotions that there are no words for. There are times when I can feel emotions inside of me and the only way to let them out is by movement. I also love sharing those same emotions on stage as people watch me dance. Because of a song choice or a routine, I’m able to make people feel joy, hope, and peace.

You’re currently studying social work at OSU. Where do you see that field taking you?
I’m currently a senior at the Ohio State University studying social work with hopes in obtaining my masters level degree in macro level social work. I want to get involved with government policy. This could be through a number of different avenues however my main goal is to serve people and communities through government.

If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?
I would be Pocahontas. I love her because she’s more than just a character. She was a real person. Also being Pocahontas, I would continue to share about my Native American heritage and how it’s impacted my life and my family.

If you had an extra ticket to see a Guardians - Reds game, who would you take with you? Why?
I would take my little brother, Lin! He loves all things sports and with six years between us (and my busy schedule) our time spent together is very special.

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience? 
I would LOVE to throw an opening pitch! I just think that would be the coolest! 

---


Oh, that would definitely be the coolest! 

As always, I want to thank Lora for visiting with us, and for sending along the picture to go with the interview.

As Lora continues her time as Miss Ohio, I encourage you to follow her title's Instagram and Facebook accounts. You should also check out the official Miss Ohio website. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss America crown this winter. It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Lora, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week