Friday, August 28, 2020

Janine Hatcher Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Janine Hatcher is passionate about the potential in our youth, a talented cellist, and the current Miss Southeastern Louisiana University. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more! 

So, let's see what happens when Janine Hatcher visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Southeastern Louisiana University crown?

I spent the remainder of the evening with my family and friends who came to watch me compete. My parents treated everyone to dinner , and the next day I just enjoyed the town to kind of take everything in and begin thinking about what I wanted my year of service to look like . 


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Southeastern competition that will help you whenever you compete for Miss Louisiana?

I always knew I was a great performer under pressure . During

this experience that was definitely exemplified . The talent portion of the competition I performed an excerpt of the piece John Legend performed at Former President Obama’s inauguration; that phase of competition was the first time out of all the moments I performed during our dress rehearsals , that I completed my piece without stopping. I was so ecstatic and really just learned that my biggest competition in my life is only me...my nervousness , my reluctance, and at times my own doubt are the only things that will ever hinder me from what I want to accomplish . 


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Southeastern?

Yes , I want to leave the crown in a better position than when I found it . I want to secure more sponsors and support for the next young woman that has this job and I am on the road to doing that . 



How did you select your social impact initiative, “R.I.P. – Respect Individual Potential”?

This campaign and cry for our youth originated in Irvington , New Jersey when my father, Dr. John. W. Hatcher III along with  city officials , administrators, teachers , students , and the late Ms. Rita Owens, decided to put a stop to the trajectory that the youth was on in that city. There are many unfortunate roads that led to adolescent youth dropping out of high school, engaging in violence , and commuting child suicide and these were at an all time high.  The community as an entity came together and  decided it was time to alter that trajectory by showing the youth in the community that if we respect one another’s individual potential while we are all here , then we won't have to keep saying “Rest In Peace” prematurely to our children who have such great potential . I chose this initiative because I see the need for this same campaign here in my home in Louisiana, where I want to call out and support the potential I see in our youth , who are the future of our state while they're still yet here and change that notion of Rest In Peace to Respect individual potential . 


As a talented cellist, what do you enjoy most about performing?

I've been performing on classical instruments since the age of

10 and the thing I've always enjoyed most is actually feeling the music and getting to perform with other instrumentalists. You really are in the moment when you get to hear the different pieces of their story coming to life in the selection of music along with the part you're playing , and the feeling is hard to describe but so tangible when I'm performing . My siblings all play classical instruments and I enjoy it most when I'm performing alongside them given how talented and gifted they are. 


What is your personal fitness routine?

My personal fitness routine has been a little more sporadic this summer with the heat and weather . I tend to monitor the weather and alter my workout session to either the morning or evening depending on the weather and what I have on my agenda that day . One thing that stays consistent is the fact that I avoid getting exercise too close to high noon or midday when it tends to be the hottest out. (Haha)


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

If I could be a Disney Character for a week , I think I would probably be Kim Possible. I’ve loved KP since I was a little girl with her fearlessness, strength, all around persona, and just “can do” attitude . I had an entire spy themed birthday party when I was 8 years old and still have her camera and night vision goggles I believe in storage somewhere (lol) . I would be Kim all the way , and spend my time getting my education, kicking bad guy’s butt everyday, and of course  hanging with my girl Monique and Ron! 


If you had an extra ticket to a Astros-Rays baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

My best friend Wallace most likely. None of the immediate

members of my family are huge baseballs fans, and I know Wallace and I would have a great time shouting the chants , predicting the outcome of the game, groaning over “bad calls” , and grabbing some grub from concessions between innings ! 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience? Experiencing the roar of the stadium when all the fans are singing the fight song . I think it's a special moment in which people regardless of background , religion , socioeconomic status , ethnicity , etc. are all unified and in great spirits rooting for their favorite team ! It's what I enjoy most about attending baseball games and other sporting events. 


---


That’s definitely one of the best parts!!


As always, I want to thank Janine for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.

As Janine continues her time as Miss Southeastern Louisiana University, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram account. It’s a great way to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss Louisiana title. It would be wonderful to have Section 36 visitor wear that crown!


Thanks again Janine, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week