Sunday, July 18, 2010

Trading Thoughts

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don’t know you’re making.

Not too long ago, I received a surprise package in the mail from Thoughts and Sox. It’s always nice getting the mystery package in the box. It’s like an added element of suspense when you start ripping into it. And, when I did, what did I find?

A bunch of older Sox cards from my wantlist! It was great. There were stars, nobodies, and everything in between. They were from one of my personal collecting dead zones in the early eighties. Look at a small sampling of what was sent.


I like the look of the 1980 set design. It’s clean and simple. It’s always nice to remember Fred Lynn as an all-star. He should have been one several more years with the Sox. I mostly remember Bob Montgomery as an announcer, so it’s always nice to see him on a player card. The 1981 design is a bit cutesie with the hat, but it works. Any time I can add a card of Dewey without a moustache, I feel like I’ve accomplished something. Take a look at that “’81 Batting and Pitching Ldrs” card. What is with that picture of Lansford? Was that really the best headshot they had? Don’t they have professional photographers on the staff? The same guy must have taken the picture of Rice on the ’83 Topps card. I hope people didn’t use that picture when they were discussing how “clean” Rice’s career was.
It all added up to a great package. Thank you to Thoughts and Sox for adding some gems to my collection.
God bless the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week