Friday, January 13, 2023

Olivia Andrews Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Olivia Andrews is passionate about music therapy, a talented singer, and the current Miss Pride of the Commonwealth. I was so excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Olivia Andrews visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Pride of the Commonwealth Crown?

The majority of the celebratory events actually happened before the competition! I went swing dancing with friends and celebrated another year of vying for the Miss Kentucky crown the night before. It sent me into the Miss Danville competition with a fresh wave of confidence in the fact that I have an army of dancers behind me who love me no matter what! (Naturally, we all FaceTimed after and spent most of the time jumping up and down in celebration.) 


It’s important to note the competition I entered gives three titles, as well as the corresponding outstanding teen titles: Miss Danville, Miss Heart of Central Kentucky, and Miss Pride of the Commonwealth! I gained four new sisters that night and was able to continue my Miss KY sisterhood with Ashley-Shae Benton! 


What has been the biggest surprise about your time as Miss Pride of the Commonwealth?

I was most surprised at how much community support I received from an area of Kentucky I was formerly unfamiliar with. The people of Danville and Stanford Kentucky are so incredible, hardworking, helpful, and kind, and I am proud to be a member of their community as Miss Pride of the Commonwealth! Our director Reuben Harness is heavily involved in philanthropy and the Danville girls (my sister queens) and I are always out and about helping the community!


What part of the upcoming Miss Kentucky competition are you most nervous about?

Onstage question threw me through a loop last year, so I’m a bit nervous about that—however—I have full confidence in my director and working with him to prepare stellar onstage Q&A skills! 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “The Miracle of Music: Music Therapy for All”?

My SII was originally The Miracle of Music: Helping Elderly Communities with the Power of Music. I was inspired by the care my late grandparents received in their nursing home and how my family gathered together to play music with them. Music was the most healing part of their end of life care and I want to make music therapy more accessible to those in need. As I researched music therapy programs and learned from my friends majoring in music therapy at the University of Louisville, I realized how incredible MT is for various communities. 


The Miss America Organization helps me create goals for incorporating music therapy programs into Kentucky’s health legislature and the resources to reach those goals! 


You’re studying Music Education at University of Louisville. Where do you see that field taking you?

My ultimate goal is to achieve a DMA in Choral Conducting and become Dr. Olivia Copland Andrews. I want to work as a professor in a collegiate choral program and take my choral ensembles to perform in a foreign country every year. I also want to create and participate in community outreach programs surrounding fine arts education and build a collaborative educational program with the surrounding middle and high school choir ensembles. 


As a talented singer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

As a performer, I enjoy connecting with audience members the most. Music is a universal language and it’s incredible to see people I love and people I have nothing in common with all be able to think and feel from music. 


I make a point to talk with audiences after performances and find out what they liked and what moved them. Everyone’s connection to the music is so beautiful and incredible. Some people are reminded of lost loved ones, reflecting on fond memories, or simply immersed in the music itself. 


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

This one is a no-brainer for me! I would be Princess Ariel! Fun fact about me: I own and swim in a Fin Fun mermaid tail! Being a mermaid helps me advocate for body positivity and find fun and unique ways to exercise! 


I love Ariel, because she is independent, brave, adventurous, and she isn’t afraid to stand up for herself and her interests. I see a lot of myself in her when she isn’t afraid to break the mold to go after her dreams…not to mention she sings along the way! 


If you had an extra ticket to a Louisville Bats baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

I’ll be honest…I’m a bit of a romantic and I think baseball games are the perfect date! I’d ask a crush to go with me and spend the day talking, sharing high-calorie baseball field snacks, and riding the merry-go-round! (Bonus points if we wind up on the kiss cam ;)


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’d love to sing the National Anthem again! I was asked to sing at a Louisville Bats game a few months and I loved every second! Maybe I could sing the National Anthem for a Red Sox game someday! 


---

That would definitely be fantastic! 

As always, I want to thank Olivia for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I also want to wish her luck when she competes for Miss Kentucky! It would be fantastic to have the first Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Olivia during her journey as Miss Pride of the Commonwealth. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account. You should also check out her linktree! It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on. 


Thanks again Olivia, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week