Friday, October 16, 2020

Madison Coryell Visits Section 36!

Photo By
Doug Hikawa Photography

Section 36 has another visitor! Madison Coryell is dancing her way to wellness, an Angels fan, and the current Miss Canyon Hills. I was so glad that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more!


So, let's see what happens when Madison Coryell visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Canyon Hills crown? 

This was my 10th Miss America local competition I’ve competed for and finally won my first title. I cried, I screamed, I was speechless and so excited for the future this title could take me to. Most of the ladies I competed with went out to celebrate with pizza and cake. My favorite pizza has pineapple on it, sorry. The day after the competition, I celebrated by planning out what I wanted to accomplish as Miss Canyon Hills.


What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss Canyon Hills? 

The one thing that has shocked me the most about being Miss Canyon Hills is the unlimited about of support from the other title holders all across the country. This pandemic has really helped us connect with each other and be able to do amazing things together. 


What aspect of the upcoming Miss California competition are you most nervous about?

The interview portion of the competition has always been the part I’ve struggled the most with. You never know what the judges are going to ask you but through the many competitions I’ve participated in, I’ve learned that they just want to get to know the woman in front of them. I am nervous for this portion but I am so excited to share who I am with the panel.


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Dance: The Path to Wellness”?

I started dancing in middle school and didn’t realize how important dance would become in my life. As a sophomore in high school, I was in honors classes, had a picture perfect memory, and life was as good as it could be. Half way through the first semester I got a concussion which created a chemical imbalance in my brain. This imbalance left me battling chronic anxiety and depression. A chemically based mental illness is very difficult to overcome because there were no situational adjustments I could make to work toward recovery. At this time, I was dancing roughly 20 hours a week. I started struggling in school, failed 3 classes through the remainder of my high school career and sometimes lost hope. I went to therapy and didn’t have much luck in healing my mental illness. Psychiatry did help but the medication I took began to be too much. Dance was the one thing that pushed me to get my day started because it was my outlet. Dance ended up being my therapy. When I started college I decided I didn’t need to be on medication any longer. I’m now cured of my anxiety and depression and I owe so much of my recovery to dance. I do not know what would have happened if I didn’t have dance in my life when I was struggling with my mental health. I created Dance: The Path to Wellness to promote dance as a form of therapy. Therapy is not a one size fits all and therapy can be found in so many places, not just in an office.


As a talented dancer, you’ve been able to dance in the Parades at Disney. What do you enjoy most about that experience?

The best part about performing in the parades at Disneyland

Photo By
Doug Hikawa Photography

would be the guests reactions. We have some guests that come to watch the parade almost daily and it’s so fun to see familiar faces. Of course I love my fellow cast members and dancing with them is always a joy but there is always that one child that makes eye contact a with you while your dancing and the look in their eyes is so inspiring. The hugs are also very heartwarming and something that I have missed significantly during this COVID-19 pandemic.


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

I would love to be Aurora because she’s always been my favorite princess since I was little. The poise, the hair, and the beautiful story will always have my heart.


As an Angels fan, do you have a favorite Mike Trout memory?

My favorite Mike Trout memory would have to be the first game I attended in long time when I saw a bunch of people wearing these funky hats with fish on them. It just made me so happy because that’s just how talented of a player he is and I think these hats are such a fun way to show their admiration of him.


Is there a feature or activity at an Angels game that you’d especially like to experience?

I’d love to be able to sit behind home plate. There’s just something so special to be able to see up close the players passing through home and score a run! 


If you had an extra ticket to an Angels-Red Sox game, who would you bring with you? Why?

I would definitely bring my boyfriend because he’s grown up with the same love for the Angels that I had and it would be such a great time to experience together.


—-


That sounds like it would be a wonderful time!


As always, I want to thank Madison for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Madison continues her time as Miss Canyon Hills, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram account. It’s a great ways to keep track of everything she has going on!


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss California title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!


Thanks again Madison, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week