Friday, June 21, 2019

Jillian Fisher Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has another visitor! Jillian Fisher is a singer, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Vermont. (She is also the sister of former
Jillian and Gretchen
visitor Carly Fisher.) I’m excited that she took the time out of her busy schedule to discuss those topics, and a few more. I’m sure you’ll enjoy reading everything she had to say!

So, let’s see what happens when Jillian Fisher visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Vermont crown?
After I was crowned Miss Vermont 2019, I spent the night with my family and friends. There were about 30 people who came out on June 1st to cheer me on. I was surrounded by love and never ending support and that meant the world to me!

What part of the Miss America experience are you most excited about?
Photo by Jon Adams Photography
I'm looking forward to meeting all of my accomplished and power house sisters at Miss America! After seeing the bond that the class of 2019 had, I'm so excited for those friendships myself!

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Vermont?
There is a club amongst former Miss Vermont's known as the "251 Club" and in order to join Miss Vermont must attend an event in every city and town in the state during her year of service! I would love to join the ranks!

How did you select your social impact initiative “Fighting Addiction”?
Since I have two uncles who have battled addiction, this is something that is very close to my heart. Not only did I watch the pain they went through, but also the devastating effects it had our entire family. As Miss Vermont, I plan to travel around the state and reduce the stigma that surrounds addiction. The language we use, the perceptions we hold and the biases we have all contribute to the stigma and it can be damaging to those who are searching for recovery. I also plan to help on the ground and find ways to get Narcan, the overdose reversal medication, in the hands of more Vermonters and help find and fund more resources and recovery programs.
Photo by
Jon Adams Photography

As a talented singer, what’s your favorite part about performing on stage?
Thank you for the compliment!! It may come as a surprise but I haven't been singing publicly for long at all. That being said, I enjoy finding new confidence in myself and my ability every time I step on stage!

You’re currently working on a degree in Animal Science. What drew you to that field?
Jillian and Jupiter
I can't remember a time that I didn't want to be a veterinarian. As I grew older my love for animals also developed into a love for science and medicine so I knew I wanted a course load that was as hands on as possible. The University of Vermont had just that! The Animal Science program at UVM is highly ranked, has many courses where students get to interact directly with animals, and is amazing preparation for vet school! My favorite course so far has been CREAM, where I ran the dairy herd with 15 other students. We learned how to milk cows, birth calves, make business decisions and so much more!

Who is your favorite Red Sox player? Why?
Carly and Jillian
My favorite player is Mookie Betts! His energy is incredible and fans can always count on him at bat.

Is there a feature or activity at Fenway Park that you’d especially like to experience?
I would LOVE to be able to sing the National Anthem at Fenway! Singing in one of my favorite spots in New England and in front of so many people would be absolutely unreal.

What were you doing when the Red Sox won the 2018 World Series?
This is so dorky but I was sitting in my apartment with the game on
Carly, Wally, and Jillian
as I was studying for a biochemistry exam. I may have had a test but I had to watch my Sox take home the trophy!

—-

Sounds like the perfect reason to multi-task to me! Glad she was able to do both.

As usual, I want to give huge thanks to Jillian for doing this interview. I also want to thank her for providing the pictures to accompany the interview. They definitely make the interview a lot more fun.

As Julia continues her time as Miss Vermont, I encourage you to follow her on the official Miss Vermont social media accounts: FacebookTwitterInstagram, and Snapchat

I also absolutely want to wish Jillian luck this fall as she competes for the Miss America crown! Once again there will be several Section 36 visitors gracing the stage in Atlantic City. It would be incredible to have her take home the title! 

Thanks again Jillian, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week