Friday, June 7, 2019

Molly Andrade Visits Section 36

Section 36 has a new visitor! Molly Andrade is a dancer, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Rhode Island. I was thrilled that she
was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So let's see what happens when Molly Andrade visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Rhode Island crown?

I was fortunate to have 25 family and friends attend the competition and celebrate with me at the after party! To be honest, I’m still celebrating! I am still trying to take it all in and embrace the experience.
What’s something you learned about yourself at the Miss Rhode Island competition that will help you at Miss America?
After competing for three years for Miss Rhode Island, I am grateful for the many lessons I have learned from the Miss America Organization. I have gained confidence, developed leadership skills, and frankly, sometimes learned the power and lessons of failure. These lessons will help me not only at Miss America but throughout my life. No matter how what obstacles I face, I will always get up and be ready to overcome them.

What part of going to Miss America are you most excited about?
Photo by Daniel Gagnon
I have watched Miss America since as far back as I can remember. At first, it was the beautiful dresses and the talent that amazed me. As I grew, I began to appreciate the role models these young women were and the difference they were making, and I aspired to follow in their footsteps. Now, being Miss Rhode Island, competing for Miss America and being a positive influence on others is not a role I take lightly.

How did you select your social impact statement “self-defense for women”?
One of the best decisions I’ve ever made was taking a self-defense class. The course was so empowering and encompassed so much more than just basic self-defense. After someone close to me was sexually assaulted, the reality hit that no one is invincible. To see what may be for her, a lifelong trauma, I felt compelled to do something. I chose for my school capstone’ to get the self-defense program implemented into my high school curriculum so that every female would be required to take it. My goal is to continue to work towards implementing self-defense programs and educate people about sexual assault.

As a talented Irish step dancer, what is your favorite part about performing on stage?
Perhaps being half Irish helped, but ever since I was a young girl, I
Photo by Daniel Gagnon
was mesmerized watching Irish Step Dancing. It did not take long for me to realize that Irish Step requires hours of training, stamina, and dedication, and I have loved every second of it. Dancing on stage is second nature to me as I have competed in Irish Step Dancing for the past 10 years. One of the highlights of my career was competing at two World Championships and being able to dance on a world stage doing what I love! I am so excited to showcase my talent on the Miss America stage!

You were recently able to walk in a fashion show at Rosecliff Mansion. What was that experience like?
I had the pleasure of walking in the, A Night to Remember fashion show this year for the third time! I love modeling and being able to step outside my comfort zone and try new fashion styles. This event supports students at Rogers High School in Newport and their Career and Technical Center. Being in the beautiful Rosecliff Mansion while wearing designer clothing and helping students makes this event such a fun and fulfilling evening.
Who is your favorite Red Sox player? Why?
Photo by Daniel Gagnon
My favorite player is J.D. Martinez because of his offensive power. He was a key free agent pick up for the Red Sox in the pre-season before capturing the world series the following year. I love how dedicated he is to his craft and his passion for the game!

Is there a feature or activity at Fenway Park that you’d especially like to experience?
I have been fortunate enough to attend many Red Sox games in the past few years. There is nothing like the Boston Fenway Park experience! One day I hope to be able to watch a game from the Green monster! Additionally, I have always been fascinated by the manual scoreboard and I would love to be able to see and learn how it operates!

What were you doing when the Red Sox won the 2018 World Series?
I am a sophomore at Endicott college in Beverly, MA and on October 28th, 2018 my friends and I were in our dorm eager to watch the Red Sox take home the title for the 9th time! There is nothing better than having our home team win the championship! There was so much excitement and pride, we were blaring Sweet Caroline!

---



That sounds like a fun time to me!
As always, I want to thank to Molly for doing this interview. I think it's so much fun learning more about amazing titleholders. I also want to thank her for sending along so many fantastic pictures. They really show what the words can't.
As Molly continues her time as Miss Rhode Island, I encourage you to follow her on her official Miss Rhode Island social media outlets, including her official Facebook page and Instagram account. 
Of course, I also want to wish Molly luck this fall as she competes for the Miss America crown! I'm sure we'll all be watching her up on that stage!
Thanks again Molly, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week