Tuesday, September 25, 2018

I Was Entertained!

I've been meaning to write about this for a couple weeks now, and I don't know if this is something new, or if I'm just that clueless. But
when I was at Fenway not long ago, I noticed some new in-game entertainment.

It was later in the game, and I was enjoying the mid-inning music being played throughout the park. As it played, I looked around the park to see what was interesting. When I looked behind me, I saw what you see in the picture at the top of the post. It wasn't music being played. It was a live on-field performance by Christiana Berenguer. I was shocked. I looked down on the field to make sure it wasn't just a video. But, there she was over by Pesky’s Pole. If they announced her, I didn't hear it. So, it was a complete surprise to me. A very pleasant surprise at that! I've obviously seen them have singers on the field for the national anthem, and God Bless America. I was even there where Neil Diamond did Sweet Caroline live during the eighth inning. But, this wasn't that. Christiana was singing a regular pop song, with no particular meaning that I could figure out. It certainly made me wonder how and why she was able to perform. Whatever the reason, I'm glad she did.

I've mentioned before different ways teams try to entertain you at a baseball game. I've always preferred the subtle in-seat options. I hate the idea of having to leave your seat to be entertained. How is it building young Sox fans if you leave the game to go to Wally’s Clubhouse? Why not just have Avengers Infinity War playing under the grandstand and bring all the kids down to watch that? If you want to build Sox fans, keep the kids in their seats watching the games.

So, while I think that things like sausage races go too far, they do convince people to stay in their seats as opposed to wandering around the concourse. Which is why Christina's performance was perfect. It wasn't anything in your face. You just felt yourself having a good time. Even if you didn't really know it. All you know is that you had a better time in the seats than you might have had wandering around.

And, I'm sure you had a great time. Christina gave a wonderful performance that had us all talking about it in the seats. If she was the first, she definitely set the bar high for anyone following her. I certainly hope the Red Sox continue to have performers like her during the game. It's another entertainment option to add the the organ, and music being played. And I enjoyed it a lot.

Did you get to hear her too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week