Friday, June 1, 2018

Olivia Clark Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Olivia Clark is a singer, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Bay State! As we close in on the Miss
Photo by Peter Camyre
Massachusetts pageant this month, I was glad she agreed to visit and discuss those topics, and a few more! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

So, let’s see what happens when Olivia Clark visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate being crowned Miss Bay State?
When I heard my name called as Miss Bay State 2018, I felt all sorts of excitement, relief, happiness and gratitude. I could not believe I was going to return to the Miss Massachusetts stage, so naturally I celebrated by singing along to my favorite songs all the way back to Western Mass. This scene should’ve been recorded considering it was incredibly off-key and belted at the top of my lungs.

You were a semi-finalist at last year’s Miss Massachusetts competition. What did you learn from that experience that will help you this year?
Last year I was overwhelmingly thrilled just to have the opportunity to compete at Miss Massachusetts, that any anxieties I had about the competition melted away. I truly let myself be completely present in the moment and have pure, unapologetic fun. I  wholeheartedly believe that mindset affected my competition in the best way possible and the judges were able to see the confidant, proud young woman that I truly am. The biggest lesson I will bring into this year is to not stress about the results, but to enjoy the experience.

Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Bay State?
This year I really want to focus on going to as many appearances I can. I faithfully believe the strength of the Miss America Organization comes from local titleholders having personal interactions with people in the community. My goal is to bring the essence of Miss America to the State of Massachusetts.

How did you select your platform: Operation Breathe Peace – Promoting Anxiety Relief and Proactive Prevention?
All through high school and college I struggled with serious social anxiety and had no idea how to manage it. It wasn’t until I started my yoga teacher training program that I really started taking note of what activities truly made my anxiety subside. From that day forward it has been my mission to encourage people to take a personal inventory of themselves and find those positive outlets to channel their own unsettling energy into. It’s all through methods of trial an error but eventually everyone will find their own way to breathe a little peace.

What is your favorite part about performing your competition talent on stage?
I’ve always loved to sing and the idea of performing in front of
hundreds of people has always intrigued my heart. However, up until recently I used to have crazy stage fright. It wasn’t until I threw caution to the wind and started competing that I actually sang in front of real-life people, let alone a huge crowd. For me, performing my talent represents overcoming any obstacles that truly feel out of reach. Every time I compete in the talent phase of competition I struggle to hold back my tears of pride. I am doing something I never thought I would have the courage to do.

What is your personal fitness routine?
I’m always hesitant to refer to my lifestyle as having a fitness “routine.” Aside from teaching one or two regular yoga classes a week and making sure I get up and walk during the typical office day, my workout schedule is always changing. The biggest focus I have is listening to my body and training what I want, when I want. Whether it be lifting heavy, running anywhere from 3 to 9 miles, 20 minute HIIT routines, yoga or stretching, I always want to be sure I am putting my mental health first and enjoy what I’m doing. (Even if that means taking a day to meditate and eat cookies!)

If you had an extra ticket to Section 36, who would you bring with you to watch the Red Sox play?
Definitely my best friend Kensi Riley, Miss Western Massachusetts 2018! Aside from competing together, we are always trying to find a new adventure to take on. Actually, I am surprised we haven’t already been to a Red Sox game together!


Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
Mookie Betts! Not only is he incredibly talented on the field, but his attitude towards the game and his personal success is exceptionally humble. I remember an interview he did back in February where he was stressing the importance of having fun and remembering why [the players] started playing the game in the first place. I think that’s an admirable mindset to have when you’re in any kind of competition.

How do you think the Red Sox will finish the 2018 season?
Is it super cliché to say World Series Champions? I would love to see them finish the regular season as a wild card team and then moving on to win the World Series. Talk about keeping us on the edge of our seats!

----

I'd have to say that's a perfectly fine answer!

As always, I want to thank Olivia for visiting. She is the second Miss Bay State to visit with us, and I'm so glad we were able to make it happen. I also want to thank her for sending along the pictures that accompany the interview. They are wonderful, and really make for a better post!


As Olivia continues her time as Miss Bay State, I encourage you to follow her on her official Facebook page. You should also follow her platform's Instagram account. It's a way to break up your feed with reminders to love and respect yourself!

And, of course, I want to wish Olivia luck this month when she competes for the Miss Massachusetts crown. Section 36 visitors have performed well at that competition, and it would be fantastic to have another one come out on top!

Thanks again Olivia and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week