Friday, June 22, 2018

Chrissy Sardano Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Chrissy Sardano is a violinist, a Red Sox fan, and the current Miss Freedom Trail. Right now she's
gearing up for the Miss Massachusetts competition next week. I’m so flattered that she was willing to take the time to talk about those topics, and a few more. I'm sure you’ll love reading everything she had to say!

So, let’s see what happens when Chrissy Sardano visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate being crowned Miss Freedom Trail?
I celebrated with my family and of course a great last cheat meal of mac and cheese. I didn’t have a lot of time to celebrate because the night that I won I had to rush back to Boston to study for a Capstone oral defense
project for BU the next morning--so my “obligatory sleeping crown photo” was of me wearing my crown, sitting at my laptop while pulling an all-nighter.

What did you learn at the Miss Freedom Trail competition that will help you at Miss Massachusetts?
The best thing I have learned from competing is to be proud of everything that you present and to enjoy the experience-- every moment of it. I remember coming out of the interview room at the Miss Freedom Trail competition feeling that regardless of whatever would happen later that evening that I already felt accomplished
since I was able to show the judges who I was as a person. In my winning interview, I was able to talk about every aspect of what makes me, me. I was able to talk about my passions, values, hobbies, and all other facets of my personality. Creating that connection with the judges is a feeling that is so necessary to bring to the interview room at Miss Massachusetts. After all, the state titleholder must be able to walk into a room and instantly connect with those surrounding her.

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Freedom Trail?
I would like to continue raising money for Boston Children’s
Hospital, hopefully surpassing my own personal fundraising goal. As a MAO titleholder, we raise funds for the local CMN hospitals through the Miss America for Kids fundraising partnership. Learning that Boston Children's can apply the raised funds to wherever is most needed whether that be for medical equipment, or for art supplies for the patients, is the most rewarding part.  

How did you select your platform, “Peer2Peer: Creating Positive Interactions in Schools”?
As a titleholder I wanted to form my platform around something that I had a personal connection with and something that I could advocate for. I experienced severe verbal, emotional, and physical bullying, in addition to alienation and discrimination throughout
my years in middle and high school. I was bullied over the things that make me unique. I have been bullied on my physical characteristics such as my very petite hands and the distinct way I walk down the stairs, to my religion and my cultural heritage... and everything in between. I know first hand how debilitating it is to experience this as a developing child/ young adult, and the effect it has on self-identity and confidence. It is especially detrimental when the bullying manifests as “silent bullying,” which I define as discrimination, isolation, alienation, and cyber-bullying. Unfortunately, bullying statistics are exponentially increasing with time. And along with these bullying incidents, the rates of poor mental health, self-harm, and suicide are following suit. It is important to tackle bullying at a young age when children are impressionable and are developing their personalities and morals. If not ended early in life, the cycle of bullying just continues and manifests in other ways in adulthood. Grown child bullies are more likely to bully their work peers, cause unhealthy and abusive relationships, and end up teaching and passing down their bad traits of bullying to their own children. I created this platform because I want to be the voice for those who have been silenced by silent bullying. I plan to use my ability to fundraise for bullying prevention and victim coping organizations, to share my personal story of overcoming obstacles through finding positive creative outlets, and to encourage the acceptance of diversity in our peers.    

As a talented violinist, what are your favorite types of songs to play?
Thank you! I have been playing the violin since I was six years old and I have been trained in many different genres. I actually began as a classically trained violinist, but I am well-versed in  pop, bluegrass, jazz, Celtic fiddling, rock, broadway show tunes, and everything in between. I enjoy Celtic fiddling the most, and chose this style for my talent because of it’s danceable, joyful nature-- it’s also impossible to not smile while listening to it! Something interesting that I am bringing to the  Miss Massachusetts stage is the arrangement of my talent piece. It is a traditional Irish folk medley that I am combining with technology (a loop pedal) and a little vocal percussion/beatboxing to give it a new modern twist. 

What is your personal fitness routine?
I strive to swim at least a mile everyday. From a very young age I
had adopted the nickname “otter” because I have always been naturally drawn to water (and I love the backstroke). In addition, I was also recently introduced to HIIT- high intensity interval training and strength training which I have found a new love for, mainly because it was something I never thought I would be able to do. I enjoy it because it pushes me past any physical limits that I believed I may have. It is always a surprise to me to learn how strong you can be when you put your mind to things— a great example would be last night when I accomplished 100 lbs on the leg press. 

Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
Andrew Benintendi-- he seems to be the fan favorite and I think he’ll be able to accomplish a lot this season. 

If you had an extra ticket to Section 36, who would you bring with you to watch the Red Sox play?
I would love to bring one of my friends that lives out of the state so that they can take part in the Boston Red Sox experience. 

How do you think the Red Sox will finish the 2018 season?
I have full faith that the Red Sox will go all the way to the World Series!!

-------

Glad she has the faith!


As usual, I want to give huge thanks to Chrissy for agreeing to do this interview, especially since we were so close to Miss MA. I also want to thank her for providing so many wonderful pictures to accompany the interview. The pictures really do make the post!

As Chrissy continues her time as Miss Freedom Trail, I encourage you to follow her on the official Miss Freedom Trail Facebook page. You should also strongly consider making a donation on her personal Children's Miracle Network donation page. And, if you're ever in Boston on a nice day, might I suggest you walk the actual Freedom Trail. It's a wonderful walk through time!

I also want to wish Chrissy luck next week as she competes for the
Miss Massachusetts crown! There will be an incredible number of visitors to Section 36 joining her on stage for the competition. It’d be wonderful to once again have a prior visitor to Section 36 take home that title! 

Thanks again Chrissy, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week