Monday, October 2, 2017

The 30-Day Baseball Card Challenge: Day #25

Tony, the wonderful writer of the “Off Hiatus Baseball” blog, started a fun activity based off the “30-Day Music Challenge” that Twitter users were taking. The list of challenges looks like this:



Today, we’ll continue with Challenge #25: A favorite oddball card from the 1970's.

I thought I'd have an easier time with this one. After all, we're getting closer to my collecting wheelhouse. But, I have a feeling that I'm still stretching the rules a bit for this post.

See, I'm not exactly sure what qualifies as an "oddball". Is it a food issue? A department store? What about a test issue? What about something that's just not really mainstream? My guess is that it would require a logo other than "Topps" to appear on the front of the card. So, I'm not sure if this counts...


No, not the Jim Rice rookie on the left. The other gold dust twin on the right. That is, of course, a 1975 Topps mini of Red Sox legend Fred Lynn. I wish i had the regular Lynn card for a direct comparison. But, the reason I have the card is that I thought I was buying the regular card for my 1975 Topps set. Imagine my surprise when this little thing showed up. 

It's certainly "odd". Just not sure it's "oddball".

The thing that struck me when I put the two crds next to each other for the picture is just how large the "mini" is. We're not talking "Ginter Mini" size or anything. Frankly, it hardly seems worth the effort. Unless the goal was to see if consumers would accept a replacement size that saved a small percentage of raw materials. Apparently consumers wouldn't accept it. 

But, I'm glad I have one. I could be tempted to add the Rice one as well if it's not too difficult. But, it's not going to be a set I try to complete or anything.

I'm always willing to add variety to my collection, though. So, this was definitely a happy accident.

Even if it's quite odd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week