Friday, October 27, 2017

Happy Thirteenth Anniversary!

I think I write about this every year. But, I'm not going to go back and check. As much as I hate repeating topics, I'm going to let this one slide. Because this one is that big of a deal.

Thirteen years ago tonight, everything changed.

I'll forever be surprised by my reaction when the ball settled snugly into Doug Mientkiewicz's glove. I mean, when Luis Gonzalez's blooper dropped in to end the 2001 World Series, I was dancing around the room. Heck, I was jumping up and down when the Sox signed Manny Ramirez.

But, thirteen years ago there was no jubilation. There was no jumping. There was no screaming and running.

It was just relief.

They had actually finally friggin' done it. It was over. The Red Sox were World Champions. 

I just sat on the couch watching the celebration. Half disbelief, half exhaustion. Just enjoying the moment.

And, I probably always say, it really did change everything. It made it all so much better. The pressure was off. When the lost the next year, it was OK. They had already done it. I could handle big injuries better. It wasn't them losing their one chance to finally do it. It was already done. I could just sit back and enjoy.

I could enjoy 2007 without worry. It wasn't all about to come apart. The Sox were winning all over the place, and it was glorious.

So 2004 didn't just let me buy World Series merchandise. It let me watch baseball a whole knew way. Free and loose. 

And much more enjoyable.

1 comment:

  1. I remember it well. Everyone else was already in bed, but I wasn't going to miss it. I had to celebrate with silent screams and fist pumps. I'm glad nobody saw me.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week