Thursday, June 30, 2011

Card of the Week: 2009 Topps Unique #87

Cards like this one make me question my whole involvement with the baseball card-collecting hobby. I look at the front and say it’s too much black. It’s more about the design of the card than the photo. It barely even qualifies as a photo. So, I end up asking myself, if all you’re concerned about is the photo, why don’t you collect 8x10 photos instead of baseball cards? I rarely have a very good answer for myself. Because, really, this card has about everything I’d look for in a card. It has the player name clearly printed, to allow for easy searching. Likewise, the team name is nicely placed on a corner so that it can easily be scanned. The company logo is small enough to be almost invisible. Why don’t I love this card? Am I expecting too much from a card? Do I even know what I want from a card?

This card feature’s Jason Bay. Bay played very nicely for the Sox during his season and a half in Boston. But, he always serves as a reminder of the debacle that was the Manny Ramirez trade. So, the player on the card makes me feel icky. The design of the card makes me feel iffy for some reason. So, I can’t give this one a flowing discussion.

I’m still not sure why I don’t love it though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week