Sunday, December 31, 2023

Sale-ing Away

I know, I'm so clever with the title, right?


It came to my attention that I haven't commented on any of the big news coming from the Red Sox this offseason, and I'm sure you were all waiting and wondering what I think. So, here we go.

A new GM. Or baseball ops cheif, or whatever title Chaim Bloom used to have and is not somewhat covered by a position Craig Breslow now has. I never had that much of a problem with Bloom. I did think he had a flaw Theo had where he was a bit to willing to ride it out with his guys. In 2011 Theo made the calculated gamble to patch holes with his prospects instead of trading them for help, assuming the Sox would still win just enough to keep them in the playoffs. He was a game off. I saw Bloom as the same. Rather than trade guys to fill holes from injuries, he hoped to tread water until they came back. Bloom was similar. Rather than get replacements for Story or Sale, he hoped he could tread water until they returned. But, all the injuries seemed to linger forever, and he got bit. As far as roster construction, he didn't seem that far off. So, as disappointed as I was to see him go, I was glad to see a Theo guy in Breslow come take his place. Honestly, with Theo's endorsement, I'm shocked there were other choices. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if all the other options that "turned down" the Sox really turned them down by saying, "Aren't you going with Breslow?" Sort of like when Billy bean turned down the Sox and told them they had that Theo kid anyway. So I was very happy to see what Breslo could do.

He didn't waste much time by trading Alex Verdugo. He was a solid borderline all-star, but losing him doesn't seem like the end of the world. The Sox seem more than happy to go with their young outfielders, and I can't argue against that. Some combination of them should be able to fill in for things just fine.

Breslow wisely avoided the Ohtani/Yamamoto circus. I didn't want any part of either of those contracts.

The Sox were, however, to add Lucas Giolito to the rotation. While not as flashy, he's exactly what the Red Sox were missing. A guy you can count on to go out there and be good. He'll keep you in the game until it get in the bullpen. All the time. It's one of those things where you may not even notice. But, halfway through the season things just seem better, and you can't quite put your finget on it. Until you notice that last year the #3 starter went 4 innings giving up 4 runs, and Giolito is always going 5 and 3. Just that solid performance you need. Of course, he also has much more upside than that. If he can find his previous form, that would go a long way. He has a great floor, and a great ceiling.

Of course, the biggest news is the trade of Chris Sale. I'm amazed that when after the Giolito acquisition if mock rotations put Sale at the top and everyone responded with "he's not an ace anymore". If the rotation went Bello-Giolito-Sale, people would complain that Sale would never be healthy enough for that spot. But, now that he's been traded, he was apparently prime Pedro. Again, I like this move. Sounds like the Sox filled a position of need by getting a good young second baseman in exchange for a huge question mark. My guess is that replacing what they actually expected for Sale might not be difficult. Replacing what they "hoped for" from Sale? That might be tougher. But, there's still plenty of time to figure that one out. 

I'm excited to see how the roster fills out. This is going to be fun.


1 comment:

  1. I'm sad to see Sale go, he was a tough competitor you always gave 100% on the mound. That being said, flipping an oft-injured 35-year-old pitcher for a guy who could potentially solve second base for years to come is just downright brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week