Friday, July 17, 2020

Brooklyn Toli Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Brooklyn Toli is passionate about the arts, a talented dancer, and the current Miss South Coast. I was thrilled that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let's see what happens when Brooklyn Toli visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss South Coast crown?
I got dinner at Barrett’s with my family.  The pageant day was a total of 12 hours, so I was very excited to sit down, relax and eat a burger!  I was also very eager to discuss my gratitude and plans for the year as Miss South Coast. 

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss South Coast competition that will help you whenever you get to compete for Miss Massachusetts?
I learned that I like to keep busy and moving during the day. There is always help needed on a pageant day.  Whether it is last minute decorations in the lobby, gathering tables for everyone to use, or setting up for a princess tea party, I like to keep myself occupied.  It’s nice when there are a lot of girls competing because there is always someone that could use an extra hand.  

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss South Coast?
I would love to reach a large audience to encourage girls and young women to become involved in the Miss America Organization.  I will speak on the benefits of involvement and how anyone with the desire to pursue this journey, should reach out and do it!  As the recent founder of the Pageant Vault, I am hoping that girls and women who never thought they would have the opportunity to compete, become aware of the different resources they have to support them.  I know that many jobs and experiences I have had are because of my involvement with the Miss America Organization.  Even from my very first pageant at 14, where I walked away with no awards, I met amazing people and got my first job as a tap teacher.  (Thank you, Lauren and Kevin of Illusion’s Academy of Dance!)

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Building Confidence Through Performing Arts”?
When I was 14, I began to realize that the performing arts can be a luxury, while really, they should be integrated into all educational institutions.  I developed important life skills growing up in dance classes.  I learned to be adaptable, creative, reliable, and built confidence in myself.  The support system you have from fellow performing artists while growing up is like no other.  I felt compelled to make sure others had the opportunity to build confidence through performing arts just as I did, so I began by volunteering and teaching free tap classes at Girls Inc. of Taunton.  I am very thankful to Girls Inc, as they allowed me to come into their after-school program to work with girls and teach them a new skill that would build their confidence while incidentally, this helped build my own confidence through my teen years.  I encourage all teenagers to use their talents to give back to younger students.  The impact works both ways.  

As a talented tap dancer, what do you enjoy about performing on stage?
First off, thank you very much! When I am performing, I am able to fully live in the moment.  Maybe it sounds cliché, but nothing else matters in that moment on stage.  Performing brings me sincere joy and tap dancing has always been my favorite dance style to perform.  As a tap dancer, you are able to convey your message through movement and sound.  The rhythms I play truly come from my soul, and I know that my love for tap dance is fueled by my love for music.  I feel and hear what I want to say before I choreograph my routines.  I will say, I have the most fun performing with my friends on stage, as we’re able to communicate through performance and it is a feeling like no other.  The opening number is one of my favorite parts of the competition. I have vivid memories of the smiles I have shared with my fellow candidates. 

You started “The Pageant Vault”. What can you tell me about that?
The Pageant Vault was created to ensure individuals of all socioeconomic backgrounds have the resources necessary to participate in pageants and scholarship competitions.  Anybody interested is able to take pageant wear at no charge.  Nobody should be excluded from organizations working to support strong, talented, smart leaders. The Pageant Vault works to support individuals by providing the resources that will help them build a wardrobe for the competition.  This may be the very thing holding someone back from participating. 



If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?
I would be Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.  When I was younger, I was drawn to her because she is a dancer, but I am now drawn to her as she is a fun and sassy character who has no problem using her voice to stand up for what she believes in.
   
If you had an extra ticket to a Red Sox game at Fenway, who would you bring with you? Why?
I would bring my sister, Presley.  She is the reason I enjoy watching baseball!  I grew up watching her play softball and it is definitely my favorite sport to watch.  

Is there a feature or activity at Fenway Park that you’d especially like to experience?
No matter the occasion, I always look forward to the food that comes along. (Anyone that knows me knows this, lol.)  I am not even a huge hotdog fan, but I feel that you must get a Fenway Frank when you visit Fenway Park!  Of course, I enjoy the pump-up music, and the feeling of being in a Boston crowd as well.

---

I sure miss being in that crowd!

As always, I want to thank Brooklyn for visiting with us, and for sending along the amazing pictures to go with the interview.

As Brooklyn continues her time as Miss South Coast, I encourage you to check out her official Facebook page and Instagram account. It’s a great way to make sure you don’t miss out on anything she’ll have going on. 

You should also follow the instagram account for The Pageant Vault and help support this great cause.

I definitely want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss Massachusetts title. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Brooklyn, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week