Friday, May 8, 2020

Julia Zimney Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Julia Zimney is eager to promote healthy relationships, a talented pianist, and the current Miss West Sound. I was so excited she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let's see what happens when Julia Zimney visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss West Sound crown?
After I won the title, there was a banquet at The Cloverleaf in Bremerton, WA. All of the candidates were celebrated with pizza, scholarship awards and the company of family and friends.

When you were crowned, you chose the word “transparency” to define your year. What has this meant for you?
A lot of my accomplishments come from the trials and tribulations I have overcome in the past. It would be doing the Miss West Sound following a disservice if I was not honest about the growing pains that encouraged me to have the character development that led to my successes and ambitions. Our hardest times can be some of the most transformative, and it reminds us that we are human. I want those that watch my year to not only see me as a role model, but the friend that understands.

What did you learn about yourself at the Miss West Sound competition that will help you at Miss Washington?
I learned that I am already Miss Washington in my own way , just as I was Miss West Sound in my own way before I had the actual title. I know that I have touched the lives of so many people across Washington state whether it was through working at a suicide and mental health hotline, responding with police officers to victims of domestic violence, or even working in my career in emergency response and preparedness to end COVID-19 in our country. I have the qualities of Miss Washington, and I do not need a crown to feel like her. As long as I remember that, I will have a blast at Miss Washington week with the stress free, open minded, gracious attitude that my parents raised me to have.

How did you select your social impact initiative, “The Red LIPS Project”?
The Red LIPS Project stands for Redefining Love in Partnerships. It is all about ending and preventing gender based violence through the positive representations of healthy relationships. Hollywood and the media often project certain relationships as passionate and fun, when they are really toxic and obsessive. By highlighting the healthy relationships in our community, we can better encourage each other to see the red flags of a violent one.

As a talented pianist, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?
My talent song is "Hakuna Matata" from The Lion King. With everything that is going on in the world, it not only holds an important reminder but it also expresses great joy. I love interacting with my audience, and I use this song to really help them feel a certain energy.

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?
Pumba from The Lion King. Who wouldn't want to live freely in a jungle where you get to sing, eat bugs and live free of worry?

You’ve been able to do quite a bit of traveling. What’s your favorite place you’ve visited?
Florence will always have my heart. I was able to study abroad in the city for four months through a program with Gonzaga University. The people had a beautiful way of interacting with one another, and it is their human connection that truly makes the culture worth immersing in.

If you had an extra ticket to a Mariners game, who would you bring with you? Why?
I would bring my brother! When we were younger, he would collect the bobble heads from bobble head nights. I even gifted him an Edgar Martinez one!

Is there a feature or activity at a Mariners games that you’d especially like to experience?
I, of course, would love to throw out the first pitch! Still waiting on the call from @mariners, though ;)

—-

That would be a wonderful experience!

As usual, I want to thank Julia for visiting with us, and for sending along the fantastic picture.

As Julia continues her time as Miss West Sound, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram and Facebook Pages. It’s the best way to make sure you don’t miss out on anything she’ll have going on.

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss Washington title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Julia, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week