Friday, May 15, 2020

Abigail Bachman Visits Section 36!

Photo by Jessielyn Palumbo Photography
Section 36 has another visitor! Abigail Bachman is a proponent of early autism awareness, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Juniata Valley. I was so excited she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let's see what happens when Abigail Bachman visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Greater Juniata Valley crown?
Usually my family and cheering section go out to a nice restaurant and celebrate but we had close to six inches of snow and ice so not a lot was open! We ended up going to a Pizza Hut.

What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss Greater Juniata Valley?
Photo by
Eire Ann Photography
I’ve been involved in the Miss America Organization for five years. During that time, I have been surprised by the community and their acceptance of the program. Something that I’m sure none of us saw coming was the Corona virus. Unfortunately, a lot of my appearances have been canceled, so I am doing as much as I can to serve my community from home.

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Greater Juniata Valley?
I’d love to continue spreading the message of Early Autism Awareness and inform parents and child care providers of some of the early signs of autism.

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Early Autism Awareness”?
My cousin Jake was diagnosed at a young age with Asperger’s Syndrome, which is a form of Autism. Because he was able to get an early diagnosis, he was able to receive early intervention and now he is able to work semi-independently and do some of the things he might not have been able to do if he didn’t receive that intervention at a young age.

As a talented dancer, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?
Thank you! I have been dancing since the age of three and
Photo by
Holly Mead Photography
have studied many different styles of dance including ballet, jazz, lyrical, pointe, hula and hip hop. I’m in college right now so I don’t get the opportunity to go on the stage as much as I did when I was younger. I love being able to hear a song and interpret it through dance.  I love hearing my family cheer in the audience and I enjoying being in the moment.

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?
That’s a tough one! I love Olaf. He is always so positive and has a great sense of humor. He is also always craving the summertime, something I am doing right now!

You were able to make an appearance at a York Revolution game that included performing on the dugout. What was that experience like?
It was so much fun! I was able to attend two games at the York Revolution. The first time I was there, I was able to throw the first pitch, speak to attendees and dance on the dugout. It was a blast! They are so welcoming and have music going to get the crowd excited to cheer on the team. Then, I was able to go again during Miss Pennsylvania week 2019. All of the contestants went to watch the game from a club box. We were able to bond and watch a great game. My favorite part is when the cannon goes off!

Your local minor league team, the Altoona Curve, is a rare team named after a roadway feature. Have you ever driven the Altoona curve?
Some of my family lives in Altoona, so I am able to go visit a lot and, yes, I have driven the Altoona curve. I was scheduled to throw the first pitch at a Curve game on April 28th but this was postponed to a later date.

If you had an extra ticket to a Pirates game, who would you bring with you? Why?
Definitely my older brother. He lives in Pittsburgh and is a fan of all Pittsburgh sports. We talked about going to a game this summer, so hopefully we still can!

—-

That would be so much fun!

As usual, I want to thank Abigail for visiting with us, and for sending along the fantastic picture.

As Abigail continues her time as Miss Greater Juniata Valley, I encourage you to check out her official Facebook Page. It’s a great way to make sure you don’t miss out on anything she’ll have going on.

You should also check out the website for her SII Early Autism Awareness. It’s a great resource for anyone looking for more information.

I also want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss Pennsylvania title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor wear that crown!

Thanks again Abigail, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week