Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Revised List of 36: Best Players I’ve Seen Play In Person


With the Hall of Fame results released recently, it’s time
to once again update my list. In fact, I realize that I didn’t do this update post last year. So, I have to also look at those inductees to see if they make any changes. As a general rule,  the Hall of Fame elections are usually less disruptive to this list since if you’re in the Hall of Fame, chances are you’re already on this list. But, that’s certainly not been the case lately!

As I’ve said, I make this list based mostly on awards. After all, my grandkids are more likely to ask me if I’ve seen a former MVP than some player who played well for a while (except for David Ortiz, I suppose). I also assume a Hall of Fame probably automatically makes the list.

So, starting with the 2019 induction. I’ve never seen Harold Baines or Lee Smith play live. So, those are easy. I’m also almost positive I never saw Roy Haladay live. But, I have seen the other three: Edgar Martinez, Mike Mussina, and Mariano Rivera. None of the three were previously on the list, since they all lacked a major award. And, frankly, none of them deserve to be in the Hall…so why would they have been on my list?

That brings us to the 2020 election. Derek Jeter I’ve obviously seen many times. Larry Walker I saw during the 2004 World Series. Again, neither were previously on my list. Jeter obviously didn’t make the cut previously. He didn’t have a major award, and really doesn’t deserve induction. Walker probably should have been on the list, but with just the one MVP he must have been squeaked out at some point.

So, amazingly, the Hall of Fame elections have added five players to the list the last five years. Remarkable.

So, who gets the bump? Right now, about half the list are Hall of Famers, so they’re safe. Bonds , ARod, and Clemens I’ll allow to keep their spots. Ichiro, Trout, and Pujols I assume will be in the Hall eventually, so seems weird to remove them now. That leaves six players who only have the MVP award in their collection. And, only one of those it a Red Sox player. So, the five players who will be eliminated from this list are: Josh Donaldson, Juan Gonzalez, Josh Hamilton,  Matt Holliday, and Andrew McCutchen. Mo Vaught gets to keep his slot…for now.
So, here’s the new list.

1. Roberto Alomar (HOF)
2. Wade Boggs (HOF)
3. Barry Bonds (MVP)
4. Ryan Braun (ROY, MVP)
5. Miguel Cabrera (MVP, triple crown)
6. Jose Canseco (ROY, MVP)
7. Roger Clemens (MVP, CYA)
8. Dennis Eckersley (HOF)
9. Tom Glavine (HOF)
10. Ken Griffey Jr (HOF, All-Century Team)
11. Vladimir Guerrero (HOF)
12. Bryce Harper (ROY, MVP)
13. Rickey Henderson (HOF)
14. Derek Jeter (HOF)
15. Randy Johnson (HOF)
16. Chipper Jones (HOF)
17. Greg Maddux (HOF)
18. Edgar Martinez (HOF)
19. Pedro Martinez (HOF)
20. Mike Mussina (HOF)
21. Dustin Pedroia (ROY, MVP)
22. Mike Piazza (HOF)
23. Kirby Puckett (HOF)
24. Albert Pujols (MVP)
25. Jim Rice (HOF)
26. Cal Ripken (HOF)
27. Mariano Rivera (HOF)
28. Alex Rodriguez (MVP)
29. Ivan Rodriguez (HOF)
30. John Smoltz (HOF)
31. Ichiro Suzuki (ROY, MVP)
32. Frank Thomas (HOF)
33. Jim Thome (HOF)
34. Mike Trout (MVP)
35. Mo Vaughn (MVP)
36. Larry Walker (HOF)


Who’s on your list?

2 comments:

  1. Henderson, Gwynn, Ichiro, and Maddux are at the top of my list for sure.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week