Friday, January 3, 2020

Elizabeth Melachrinoudis Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has a new visitor! Elizabeth Melachrinoudis is a marrow registry advocate, a talented violinist, and the current Miss St. Lucie County. I was excited that she was willing to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So let's see what happens when Elizabeth Melachrinoudis visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss St. Lucie County crown?
After every pageant, win or lose, I take my friends and family that were in the audience to Carrabba’s to thank them for being on this pageant journey with me. To celebrate this special win, I woke up the next day and got a bagel from my favorite place in St. Lucie County and then a cannoli from the famous St. Lucie Bakery. There is no better way to end a pageant weekend than with food

What part of the upcoming Miss Florida competition are you most nervous about?
Talent is always the most nerve-wracking part of the competition for me. I was classically trained in violin between the ages of five and fifteen, but I took a break from playing for five years before I picked up the violin again to start competing in the Miss America Organization. I hope to be as exciting on the Miss Florida stage as Carolyn Brady, Miss Maine 2019, was when she played violin on the Miss America stage this year!

What has surprised you the most about your short time as Miss St. Lucie County?
I am blessed to have a teen queen as amazing as Miss St. Lucie County’s Outstanding Teen, Mallory! I had no idea when I was crowned that I would gain a sister in my teen queen. We have become so close in the three months that we have been crowned, and I cannot wait to watch her shine at Miss Florida’s Outstanding Teen.

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Gift of Life”?
My social impact is so incredibly special to me, and it is absolutely my favorite thing to talk about. In the past five years I’ve lost both my parents to cancer, so I’m so excited to have the opportunity to be a part of creating a cancer-free world. I currently serve as a Campus Ambassador for Gift of Life Marrow Registry which means I have the responsibility of helping my fellow students at the University of South Florida register to potentially donate bone marrow to a person in need. Since August 2019 I have helped register over one hundred new donors to the marrow registry, and I am hoping to hit five hundred before Miss Florida the June!

As a talented violinist, how will you decide what piece to perform at Miss Florida?
I actually decided what piece I would perform the day after I
won my local because I was so excited! I am a huge Disney fan, so I plan to bring a little Disney magic to the Miss Florida stage.

What is your personal fitness routine?
As a student at the University of South Florida I have access to an amazing recreational center which has a variety of group fitness classes offered every week. I am a firm believer that exercise should be fun, so I like to switch up my routine by going to different classes every week. My favorite class by far is cycling, I always leave feeling so empowered!

You’ve been able to do quite a bit of modeling. What do you like about being in front of the camera?
I genuinely enjoy modeling because I have so much fun while I do it! Any time that I have the opportunity to work with a photographer who loves what they do and we are able to convey emotion through the photographs, it is the greatest feeling.

You were able to throw out the first pitch at a St Lucie Mets game. What was that experience like?
That day was so special because it was at the annual “Paint the Park Pink” night for Breast Cancer Awareness. I threw out the first pitch in honor of my mom who was fighting breast cancer, just a month before she passed away. It was one of the last big memories that I have with my mom, which makes the day that much more special. I remember being down on the field with her and talking about how the pitcher’s mound looks way closer to the catcher from the stands than it does on the field! Luckily, I made it to the catcher!

Is there another feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?
I have always wanted to catch a foul ball! I love watching the excitement on people’s faces when they catch one, and I’d love to experience that moment!

---

I’ve never caught a ball during a game either. That would be so much fun.

As always, I want to thank Elizabeth for doing this interview, and for sending along the great pictures to make it look so much better.

As Elizabeth continues her time as Miss St. Lucie County, I encourage you to follow her on her official Facebook page and Instagram account. It’s a great way to see what she’s up to during her time with the crown.

You should also absolutely check out her Gift of Life donor circle where you can request a kit to see if you can be a marrow donor!

And, of course I want to wish Elizabeth luck when she competes for Miss Florida. She’d be the first visitor to take home that crown, which would be fantastic!

Thanks again Elizabeth, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week