Wednesday, May 27, 2015

From the Pedro Binder



2000 E-X

First off, this card isn’t cardboard. It’s that acetate stuff that has snuck into cards every once in a while. Also, the sections that look white, are actually clear. Or, at least opaque. So, this is a different animal than most cards in the Pedro binder. That makes this one unique…if nothing else.

You know, it’s interesting I was going to point out what I immediately considered a major flaw. I’m guessing you can figure out what it is. Then I started thinking. I have a sweatshirt in my closet. It’s blue, and says GAP across the chest. I also have a pair of shorts in my drawer. They’re pretty well covered in the little Ralph Lauren Polo guy. So, I’m willing to wear clothes whose only design element is a company logo scattered about.

Why does it annoy me so much on cards?

I mean, look at that clear swipe through the middle. It is absolutely infested with E-X logos. It grinds at me.

Maybe it’s because I don’t have any expectations when it comes to clothing. If it looks nice, I’ll wear it. If the horsey guy looks nice in the color combination, that’s fine by me. But, I do have an expectation when it comes to a baseball card. This is supposed to be a Pedro card. Not an EX card. It would be more like having GAP written across the front of a Red Sox jersey. It’s out of place, and wrong.

The rest of it is wrong too. Pedro’s name is in foil. Written sideways. Facing the wrong way. My goodness. The sweeping design is just oddly distracting.

I do like the picture, though. For some reason it appeals to me. I don’t know if it’s a slightly different angle than I’m used to seeing. Or, if the distracting background actually makes the photo pop. Or, if it’s just so well cropped that it demands attention. Whatever it is, I enjoy it.

But, it can’t help save the rest of the card from itself. It really looks like it’s trying to hard.


Understated can be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week