Tuesday, May 1, 2012

April’s Winner Is…

First, a big thank you to everyone who submitted a scorecard to April’s contest. I appreciate all the effort. Let’s start by giving everyone a big round of applause. Done? OK. Now, onto the good stuff. After a random drawing, the winner is loyal reader Don. Congratulations! I’ll get your prize off to you as soon as I can.

Let’s take this opportunity to have a look at Don’s completed scorecard. He was nice enough to supply both sides of the card. I’m going to focus on the Red Sox side because, frankly, it’s more fun. Here it is.




First, I probably should have docked Don a few points for submitting a Red Sox loss. But, that’s the way it goes sometimes. As you can see, this card scores the 2012 Opening Day game at Comerica Park. This was the start of the little opening skid for the Sox. But, how was the scoring? It looks like a great job. The first thing I notice is that Don tracked balls and strikes. I admire the dedication there. That’s something I just can’t get myself to follow through with. I’m also pretty depressed right from the top when I see Ellsbury in the lead-off spot where he belongs. I can’t wait until he’s back in there. I see that Don used the boxes in the lower left corner of the squares to make the H/E scoring decision. That’s a nice idea.

I notice that in the first inning that Ellsbury’s out is denoted by a small “7” about in the position where the left fielder would play. The “4” in Pedroia’s box is also precisely placed. I wonder if that is intentional, or not. I notice that doesn’t hold true for Ross in the seventh. So, it might be a weird coincidence. Don also managed to get all the umpires listed. Another great job by him! Overall, a fantastic card. I’m glad to be able to share it.

Thanks again to everyone who entered. I’ll share some of the other entries at some point so we can all enjoy them. And, if you didn’t win this time, keep your eyes open for other contests as we celebrate Fenway’s 100th Birthday and the wonderful 1912 season!

Congratulations Don!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week