Sunday, May 8, 2011

Card of the Week: 1985 Topps #350

I like the 1985 Topps set. Maybe it’s the first “good” set I remember growing up. I remember the great set that had the rookie cards of Puckett, Clemens, Gooden, McGwire, Hershiser, Saberhagen, and Davis. So, the design always stands out to me. And, it’s a nice design too. Simple geometric shapes. The team name in a box. The team logo in a circle. It’s nice and clean.

The picture of Boggs is great as well. How many times did he strike that pose in his career? He naturally made contact. He’s just trying to figure out where it’s going to go. It doesn’t look like a wall-ball double. But, it’s in play somewhere.

In 1985, Boggs would lead the league with 240 hits. He would hit a career-high .368 that season. I would say that he had an impressive .452 OBP that season. However, Boggs had a higher one in each of the next three seasons. Wowsers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week