Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Ava Katherine Socarras Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Ava Katherine Socarras is passionate about kidney disease awareness, a talented musician, and the current Miss Lexington's Outstanding Teen. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Ava Katherine Socarras visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Lexington’s Outstanding Teen crown?

My family and I celebrated with going to dinner a night that week, but the main celebration from my family was getting a guitar. When I decided I wanted to compete in the competition, I had wanted a guitar really bad. I already had a ukulele but to play most of the songs I had wanted to play, I needed an acoustic guitar. I asked my parents if we could celebrate me competing, and possibly wining, by getting a guitar. Little did I know I would be getting one for Christmas a few moths after the competition. Being with my family is very important to me. We are very close and I would not have it any other way.


How did you select your social impact initiative: Share a Spare - Kidney Disease Awareness?

As a child, I was surrounded by the word "kidney". My younger brother Jacob was born with an underdeveloped kidney, and my great grandfather was on dialysis for almost 10 years. The issues involving kidneys in my family are what made me select Share A Spare- bringing attention to Kidney Disease Awareness. When choosing the name for my Social Impact Initiative, I ran into many thoughts. I ended with Share A Spare because of the motto I made, "Share information on kidney disease and possibly spare a kidney to one in need." I have always felt a strong connection to kidney disease awareness, since I was a young girl. So, it just made sense to start a my Social Impact on something I was already so passionate about.


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Lexington’s Outstanding Teen?

The goal I have as Miss Lexington's Outstanding Teen is to be remembered in the Lexington community. As the very first Miss Lexington's Outstanding Teen, it's so important for me to make an impact on this amazing town. I want to share the importance of my Social Impact Initiative with them, but also encourage them to start spreading awareness on things THEY find important. I hope that Lexington will be able to remember my name and that I can be a role model for those there.


How would you complete the sentence, “I get great satisfaction when ___”?

"I get great satisfaction when being around, music." The first thought entering my brain when completing that sentence is music. I have been singing since I was almost 4 years old, which is 10 years of me singing. I play the Ukulele, Guitar, and I hope to play the piano. Whenever my day is going "not so great" I know I can put in my earbuds and listen to my favorite songs and I will be satisfied. Music definitely keeps me happy and almost always makes me want to burst out into a dance. 


If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

If I could be any Disney character I would be Ariel from The Little  Mermaid. As a kid I loved mermaids so much, and I still think they are pretty cool. Not only that, but the first song I performed on a stage was "Part of Your World" from the Little Mermaid, so it has some importance to me. I have also always really loved the ocean. My favorite animal is a dolphin, and a mermaid cannot get much closer to that. 


If you had an extra ticket to a Greensboro Grasshoppers baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

If I had extra tickets to a Greensboro Grasshoppers game I would take my younger brother Jacob. He is only 11 and wants to play baseball. He played for a bit but during Covid he had to stop. Now he is very passionate about it and wants to start playing again. I think bringing him to the game can boost his inspiration even more. Not only that but I know I could have good laugh if he were there. 

 

Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to experience?

Actually, I just went to Washington D.C. with my 8th grade class, and had the opportunity to watch my first Major League Baseball game. It was a lot of fun. I think an experience that would be really cool would be getting a ball from one of the players. The part where it comes flying at my face may be a little scary, but I think it's worth getting the ball from someone on the field. Also, I could at it to my collection of random things on my shelf and showing the ball off to my friends would be awesome! 


---

I'd like to get a ball myself!

As usual, I want to thank Ava for visiting with us, and for sending along the picture to go with the interview.

I also want to wish Ava luck when she competes for Miss North Carolina's Outstanding Teen! It would be fantastic to have another Section 36 Forever wear that crown.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Ava during her journey as Miss Lexington's Outstanding Teen. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account. It's a great way to keep track of everything she has going on.


Thanks again Ava, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week