Friday, April 16, 2021

Nicole Steinhagen Visits Section 36!

Photo by Akadia Marles
Section 36 has another visitor! Nicole Steinhagen is passionate about ending the silence surrounding suicide, a black belt in 
Shotokan Karateand the current Miss Greater Portland. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more.

So, let's see what happens when Nicole Steinhagen visits Section 36! 

What made you want to participate in the Miss Maine program as Miss Greater Portland?
I have been a part of the Miss Maine organization from the time I was 10 until I was 13. I started in the princess program and participated until I was 13 when I officially decided to compete for Miss Maine’s Outstanding Teen. After a couple of years of losses, I decided to pursue other activities.  The organization is one that I have always loved and admired. Upon retiring from competing in Martial Arts Tournaments, I decided to compete for Miss Maine since it would give me the opportunity to show off my talent. The fact that this year I get to represent the area that I grew up in makes this year even better!

What did you learn about yourself at last year’s Miss Maine competition that will help you the next time you compete?
That sisterhood is the most important part of this organization. I have been able to lean on the sisters I have already met, and I’ve been able to connect with sisters around the country. These girls have seriously become some of my best friends and I haven’t even met them in person. We bounce ideas off each other, stay up until midnight on Facetime, help each other with paperwork, and that is only the tip of the iceberg. 


Do you have a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Greater Portland?
One specific goal that I have is to educate the Greater

Portland area on the idea of suicide prevention and what we can do to help each other especially as we are coming out of COVID. In Maine, suicide prevention is still very new and I am beyond grateful to pave the path for the future. 


How did you select social impact initiative: End the Silence, Let’s Talk about Suicide?
I grew up thinking that suicide was never going to affect me personally. Five years ago, I lost my grandpa to suicide, and it completely blindsided me. He was my go to for everything and really he was my best friend. The fact that he suffered in silence absolutely kills me. Now I am determined and dedicated to educating as many people about the confidential resources available to everyone, the warning signs of someone contemplating suicide, and what we can to help each other. 


You have a black belt in Shotokan Karate. What got you involved in that activity?

I got involved at the age of 6 when I went to my neighbors birthday party! It was hosted at the karate school and they had classes for us! It was seriously the best birthday party I’ve ever been to!


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?
Princess Anna. Definitely Princess Anna. She is a strong female who didn’t need a prince to save her and she is not afraid to be herself. As an extrovert myself, I love seeing another extrovert in a princess role is so good. These are the women that little girls look up to and want to emulate.  


Portland is, of course, home to the Red Sox AA club, the Sea Dogs. Have you been able to make it to any of their games?
I love going to Sea Dogs games! When I was growing up, I

would go all the time with my family. My favorite was always the fan appreciation day where the players reenact the “Field of Dreams.” Once I got on the performance team at the karate school, we would go and do a pregame show! We once got to perform at a game that David Ortiz was in town for rehab.


If you had an extra ticket to a Red Sox game, who would you take with you? Why?
I would take my sister. Going to any kind of sporting event is always more fun when she is there. Also she’s my best friend and we make any situation more fun when the two of us are together. 


Is there a feature or activity at Fenway that you’d especially like to experience?
I definitely want to go to a Dropkick Murphy’s Concert. I love the Murphy’s and they did a performance at the stadium during quarantine which was absolutely amazing so it’d be more amazing in person, right? 


---

It would definitely be more amazing in person! I had the opportunity to see them play a song at Fenway once -- before a playoff game perhaps -- and it was quite an experience.

As always, I want to thank Nicole for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

As Nicole continues her time as Miss Greater Portland, I encourage you to follow her on her title and personal Instagram accounts. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on! 


I also definitely want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss Maine title. It would be wonderful to have another Section 36 visitor wear that crown!
 
Thanks again Nicole, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week