Thursday, April 1, 2021

The Most Important Team Today

That’s right. Once again, it’s time for your favorite post of the year. The one where I discuss the fantasy team I drafted for this year! I know. The only thing worse than tweeting about fantasy teams is blogging about them. But, what better way to celebrate the start of the season?

Just as a reminder, this is a nine team 5x5 league, with 30 roster spots. So, it's a big league. You have three keepers, and they take the place of your draft pick in whatever round you originally drafted the player. (I love that detail. For instance, one player in the League only used a 24th round pick of Fernando Tatis.) I had the fourth pick in a wraparound draft. Got that?

So, who did I get?

C - T. d'Arnaud ATL
1B - P. Alonso NYM
2B - C. Biggio TOR
3B - R. Devers BOS
SS - X. Bogaerts BOS
CI - B. Dalbec BOS
MI - G. Lux LAD
OF - J. Soto WAS
OF - J.D. Martinez BOS
OF - A. Verdugo BOS
OF - T. Pham SD
U - J. Rojas ARI
U - I. Kiner-Falefa TEX
U - A. Dickerson SF
B - R. Tapia COL
B - A. Benintendi KC
B - L. Arraez MIN
B - K. Hernandez BOS

SP - M. Scherzer WAS
SP - C. Kershaw LAD
SP - K. Henricks CHC
RP - T. Rosenthal OAK
RP - A. Colome MIN
P - J. Hicks StL
P - A. Nola PHI
P - R. Rodriguez PIT
P - S. Alcantara MIA
B - E. Rodriguez BOS
B - C. Martin ATL
B - A. Ottavino BOS


My three keepers were Rafael Devers (round ten), Xander Bogaerts (round fourteen) and Aaron Nola (round sixteen). I love the idea of getting Devers with the eighty-seventh pick almost as much as I like getting Xander with the 123rd. I grabbed Soto in the first round, obviously. (If you care, deGrom was taken #1 then Betts and Trout were keepers.)

From there, I was able to grab plenty of Red Sox players. I'm always actually surprised with how many I end up with. Obviously, Bogaerts and Devers are legit picks that you don't need to be a Sox fan to grab. JD and Verdugo as well. I got EdRo late enough that if he doesn't return to 2019 form it won't be a killer. Similar for Dalbec. If he's not the real deal after all, I shouldn't regret it much. Hernandez was super late, and I love having someone available at so many positions on my bench.

So, while I know you probably need to see the rest of my league to decide how my team will do, I welcome any comments on any of my selections. 

Think I got any good ones?

4 comments:

  1. Not bad. Kiner-Falefa is one of those sneaky late round guys I've targeted in my leagues - catcher eligible, and will be leading off for the Rangers. He's got potential to score some runs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my thought too! The ability to have a catcher that almost always will be playing is huge. I usually pick Red Sox catchers so I at least will know when they're likely to have a day off, but missed out this time.

      Delete
  2. Wow. Interesting that Soto wasn't a keeper for someone. Best of luck this year. But I guess it makes things interesting if you can't draft in the first round next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a toss up whether it's better to keep a first rounder, or instead save a later round. If by not keeping Soto you can still get a quality pick and keep another player, that might work. In my case, I could have kept deGrom as a first round pick. But, I instead kept Nola and his 10+ round advancement, and still ended up with Soto. I had Trout for a long time and always kept him because getting Trout fifth overall was a big bargain.

      Delete

What people are reading this week