Friday, April 3, 2020

Dana Harrison Visits Section 36!


Section 36 has another visitor! Dana Harrison is passionate about the arts, a talented stage performer, and the current Miss San Fernando Valley. I was thrilled she visited us to discuss those topics, and a few more!

So, let's see what happens when Dana Harrison visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss San Fernando Valley crown?
Well first, like any pageant girl, I cried tears of joy! Prior to last year when I won my first local title, I had competed persistently for over half a decade, never winning a title, and sometimes not even placing. So I knew when my name was called, I was so fortunate! I was also so surprised and excited because this will now be my second time being a titleholder, and being exposed to so many incredible opportunities! I was also blessed to celebrate this with some of my best friends!

What part of the upcoming Miss California competition are you most nervous about?
To be honest, I don't think I am nervous about the Miss California competition, I am just so excited to have the opportunity that not many women get to have-a chance to compete for my dream job of being Miss California! On the other hand, with everything regarding the COVID-19, and even seeing some of the final competitions be postponed, it does make me a bit apprehensive-will our state competition get pushed back now? As of now, I am unsure, but I believe that what ever happens will happen for a reason with the ultimate best interest for all of us candidates.

What has surprised you the most about your time as Miss San Fernando Valley?
I think what's surprised me most of all is the support I have already received from the community of San Fernando Valley! While I am not a resident, nor am I from the area (although I do have family in the San Fernando Valley), I have been welcomed with open arms to this community! I plan to spend my spring break and various weekends without my reign doing as much as I can for this community. When I competed for this title, I told my judges that while I currently live in Sacramento, my heard would be with San Fernando Valley this year because it would mean so much to me push myself out of my comfort zone, and expand to new horizons! San Fernando Valley, I am ready to make an impact!

How did you select your social impact initiative, “Enriching People’s Lives Through the Performing Arts”?
Photo by Image Society
I have been involved in the performing arts since I was five years old, and I have also volunteered and taught musical theatre to kids of all ages. With that being said, I know for a fact that my confidence would not be as strong, and I can say the same for my students, if we hadn't been exposed to the performing arts. The performing arts provides opportunities for anyone to grow, challenge themselves, and most importantly, express themselves in a way that is truly beautiful, and is free of ridicule and judgement. Also, in the long run, the performing arts increases and improves academic attendance, discipline, and motivation!

What do you enjoy most about performing on stage?
There is so much I love about performing on stage! I don't even get nervous anymore, because any stage I perform on is my comfort zone! Above all, I think the opportunities performing can bring you are endless, and for an optimistic person like myself, that is so much fun! I get to be creative, entertaining, but most importantly, I get to make people smile, and feel a special type of way, and that is initially one of my favorite aspects of social impact, as well as just performing in general. 

If you could be a Disney character for a week, who would you choose? Why?
Ooohh, I love this! Well although I am known for performing Ursula's solo, "Poor Unfortunate Souls", and she is a favorite, but if I could be a Disney character for a week, I would pick Rapunzel! She has also been a favorite of mine because of her determination, her creativity, her hair, and her love for wanting to meet new people, and explore new opportunities!

As a Giants fan, who is your favorite Red Sox player? Why?
Well, when I think of the Red Sox, I think of an ultimate baseball legend who happened to play for the Red Sox-Babe Ruth! I think a team to have an icon like that in their history is incredible! While many admired The Babe for his skill, I think I truly admired how respectful he was of others!

If you had an extra ticket to a Giants-A’s game, who would you bring with you? Why?
I think I would bring my long-time MAO mentor and friend, Tony Moises! Like myself, Tony is a huge Giants fan, and being able to share an experience like this would be a way to treat him, and thank him for all he's done for me in the nearly eight years he's known and helped me!

Is there a feature or activity at a Giants game that you’d especially like to experience?
I have been to many Giants games in my past, and they are so much fun! But, I would love to one day either sing the national anthem, or throw out the first pitch! Being able to share my passion of singing while honoring America for my favorite team would be a memory so near and dear to my heart! 

—-

Those would be wonderful things to be able to do!

As usual, I want to thank Dana for visiting and for sending along the fantastic pictures that accompany the interview. They make the whole thing so much better.

As Dana continues her time as Miss San Fernando Valley, I encourage you to check out her official Instagram. It’s the best way to make sure you don’t miss out on anything she’ll have going on.

I also want to wish her the best of luck when she competes for the Miss California title. It would be wonderful to have the first Section 36 visitor to wear that crown!

Thanks again Dana, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week