Thursday, September 24, 2015

From the Pedro Binder


2002 Fleer Platinum

For a school field trip once my class went to Washington DC. While I was there I bought a poster titled "How Ronald Reagan Sees the World" or something like that. It was a satirical look. California was enormous, for instance, taking up half the country. the USSR was simple labeled "Bad Guys." That sort of thing. I'm not even really sure I understood every reference at the time, but it had funny pictures on it, so I liked it. It hung on my wall for a while. But, after Reagan left office, it seemed dated. So, I took it down and threw it out. Several year later...now, for instance, I realized that it would be pretty neat to still have around as a nostalgia type thing. It was with that poster that I realized things seem to have a natural cycle as they age. Current. Old. Classic. If you can make it through the "old" section intact, then you've accomplished something.

What on earth does any of that have to do with the Pedro card at the top of the page?

In 2002, for the Platinum set, Fleer decided to copy the design from the 1987 Fleer set. At that point, 1987 Fleer was 15 years old. It had somehow gotten past the "old" timeframe intact. No matter how corny it seemed for the years not long after 1987, by the time the new millennium came along, it was a classic design. Funny how things work.

There's really not a lot going on with this design. But, it does have one feature that I adore. Can you spot it? I will forever be in love with the fact that Pedro's head sticks out over the border of the card. It's the best design element ever created. Sure, the Platinum logo is 1000% too large, and the picture is dull. The picture extends over the border! Nothing else matters.

No wonder it was able to make it to a "classic" design.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week