Friday, September 2, 2011

A True Genius Move

So, I’m guessing this was the conversation between Theo Epstein and Tito Francona yesterday afternoon in the manager’s office.

Theo: Just make sure the guys go easy today. Burnett may be a Yankee, but we don’t want to show him up.

Tito: Yeah, I know. I was just going to have a team meeting about that. What a month he just had. You hear there’s talk of leaving him off the Yankees postseason roster?

Theo: I’ve heard. Can you imagine that?

Tito: To be honest, that might be bad for us. If we were to meet them in the ALCS, I’d sure like to have that guaranteed win to count on.

Theo: I know but he’s pitching so badly, I doubt we’d be that fortunate.

Tito: Maybe he’ll luck out and have a good start before the end of the year. That might be enough to give the Yankees false hope and put him on the roster.

Theo: I know. One good start... One good start… against, say, the best team in the American League.

Tito: Are you suggesting what I think you’re suggesting?

Theo: I have no idea what you’re talking about. Go have that team meeting.

It’s the only explanation I can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week