Friday, January 5, 2024

Erica Parks Visits Section 36!

Section 36 had another visitor! 
Erica Parks is passionate about animal justice, a talented dancer, and the current Miss Greater New York's Teen. I was so excited that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more. 

So, let's see what happens when Erica Parks visits Section 36!

How did you celebrate winning the Miss Greater New York’s Teen crown?

I was incredibly honored to be crowned Miss Greater New York’s Teen. The weekend was an amazing experience all around: I currently live on my own in NYC and attend the Institute for American Musical Theatre, but my parents and my puppy got to come visit and see me compete! Having them there was so special, and it was extra special getting to celebrate my new title with them! And of course, I had to get myself a sweet treat the next day before heading to rehearsal for my school’s Winter Concert. 


How did you select your CSI, “Paws for a Cause”?

I wanted my CSI to work with animal justice because of how much my dog, Pippa, impacted me. Pippa was a pandemic puppy, because of this she never got to socialize during her puppy phase and instead developed anxiety. I was fighting my own anxiety simultaneously, so we learned to come out of our shells together, which ultimately brought our family so much closer together. I developed Paws For A Cause to provide shelters with the resources they need to get animals into their forever homes to help other animals impact their humans in the same way my dog impacted me. Since then, I’ve had the honor of passing my own piece of animal protection legislation, and have signed a national partnership with the ASPCA, where I advocate for animal welfare at the federal level. 


You started your own business, “Dancer’s Designs Costumes”. How did that come to be?

I was a competitive dancer until I was ten years old when I decided to start acting and dancing professionally. Costuming was always my favorite aspect of both realms. During the pandemic I desperately needed a creative outlet. I saw a TikTok of a dancer unboxing her solo costume for the season and I said “I could make that!” so I did! I ordered a few rhinestones from Amazon and took an old leotard and bedazzled the heck out of it. I posted it to my social medias and was overwhelmed with positive responses. I then decided at fourteen years old I was going to open my small business. I’ve since sold over fifty custom and ready-to-ship costumes, and made every talent costume I’ve ever worn while competing in MAO. I’ve even gotten to bedazzle a few crown boxes! I would also love more than anything to see one of my designs on the Miss America stage, and would be honored to work with any delegate who reaches out to me!


You were able to play the role of “young Mackenzie” in the wonderful Disney+ movie Godmothered. What was that experience like?

The experience I had working on Godmothered was far from what I expected. In hindsight, it really shifted my perspective on the entertainment industry and taught me a lot about myself as an artist and as a person. 


You’ve published a children’s book, “Pippa Finds a Friend”. What can you tell me about it?

“Pippa Finds A Friend” follows the story of my dog, Pippa, as she learns to face her fears by stepping outside of her comfort zone by making a new friend, and how that brought my family so much closer together. I’ve found since publishing the book it not only encourages families considering adopting a pet to take that leap of faith by showing the positive effects it had on my family, but also helps kids step outside of their comfort zones and to make new friends. I got to read it to my third grade teacher’s classroom during winter break, and I had a student raise her hand and tell me how much the book helped her after her pet had passed, and encouraged her family to start the adoption process for a new cat. In addition, I’ve gotten to donate it to numerous libraries and local bookstores, and it has been auctioned off in a raffle basket for Angel Flight New England. It even made Amazon’s top 5 list for New Pet Book Releases its first week. I know this is only the beginning for this book and I could not be more excited to see where it goes next!


Is there a feature or activity at a Red Sox - Yankees baseball game that you would especially like to experience?

I grew up in the Boston area, I served as Miss Boston’s Teen 2023, so going to a Red Sox game was always an exciting experience. Ever since I was little my Mom and I have wanted to meet and get a picture with Wally the Green Monster, so that is definitely high up on my list. Something incredibly special about Fenway Park for me is that my sophomore year of high school, our football team played their Thanksgiving game a few days early at Fenway Park, and I was on the Varsity Cheer Team and got to go cheer on the field, we even got to sit and warm up in the Red Sox’s dugout at halftime! My whole family got to attend the game and although it was less than twenty degrees outside, it was a night I will never forget. I will say, now that I live and hold a title in New York, I do feel obligated to have a little bit of support for the Yankees so maybe one day soon I’ll make my way to see them play (against the Red Sox in their cheering section, of course).


---

So very cool that she got to cheer at Fenway. Hopefully she meets Wally someday. He's a cool monster.

As always, I want to thank Erica for visiting with us, and for sending along the pictures to go with the interview.

I'm sure you'd like to follow along with Erica during her journey. You should be sure to check out her title's Instagram account and her personal website
They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on. You should also be sure to check out her book and grab a copy for yourself.


Thanks again Erica, and good luck in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week