Tuesday, November 12, 2019

1975 Topps Page by Page: Page 1 (1-9)

I'm sure that you all remember that about six months ago, I finally completed my 1975 Topps set. It was a journey that had stalled for a while (as I'm sure many set builds do) after the initial burst and getting most of the cards. But, I was glad to finally put that final card in the binder.

Like many of you, I love the 1975 Topps set. There are so many cool things about it that I knew it would be the first (and probably only) vintage set I'd try and complete. The design is one of the most fun ever. There were Hall of Famers galore. There were early cards of players I only remember from later in their careers. There were recent managers from their playing days. The fact that it was short on key/expensive rookies...and I already had one of them...was just the clincher.

Now that it's done I thought it would be fun to look through the set and talk about it. I could never dream of doing a card by card rundown...and if I could, it would never be as good as what Night Owl already put out there. But, I wanted to spend some more time with the cards. Going page by page seemed like a good compromise. Hopefully you find it interesting to read what I have to say.

How about we start with page 1?


Red Sox Cards on the Page: 1. Although, I have to admit I have never heard of Rogelio Moret. But, another one of the fun things about the 1975 Topps set is that the Red Sox had a pretty memorable World Series appearance in 1975. So, it's fun to see those players in cardboard form.

Cards that make the 1975 Topps set cool: The Highlights are all wonderful. Look at that great collection of Hall of Famers to lead off the set. Those are some pretty significant Highlights too. None of those "hit two homers against the Angels in May" highlights here. A 3000 hit guy, a 3000 K guy. The steals record. A 300 K guy, and three no-hitters. Oh, and some Aaron guy did something awesome.

My favorite card on the page: The Hank Aaron record breaker. First, it's a card celebrating possibly the biggest record in sports. Second, it's a friggin Hank Aaron card. Who would have thought I'd ever have one of those? The actual card is just great too, showing Aaron in his Braves uniform and adding the fantastic "all-star" star in the corner. What a perfect way to lead off the set.

What would your answers to those last two categories be?

4 comments:

  1. I have card #7, the no-hitter card, signed by all 3 players so I think that one is the coolest one on the page. If that weren't the case, I'd go with the Aaron card as well. Dick Bosman, one of the no-hit guys, has been a roving coach in the Rays' minor league system for years. When on the road, his wife always calls him on the anniversary of his no-hitter to remind him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, the triple autographed no-hitter card would definitely be the coolest.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool!

    I think the Nolan Ryan record breaker card is the coolest on this page. As a kid, he seemed like a giant on this card thanks to the now somewhat cliched "sky shot."

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week