Friday, May 4, 2018

Madison Cota Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Madison Cota is a vlogger, a Red

Sox fan, and the current Miss Boston! She was nice enough to visit with us not long after winning her crown to discuss those topics, and a few more. I’m awfully glad she did.

So, let’s see what happens when Madison Cota visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate being crowned Miss Boston?
I was absolutely blown away when I was announced Miss Boston 2018! I believed in myself and my abilities - but there were so many other talented, intelligent, and driven young women on the stage with me as well. I am beyond grateful that the judging panel saw something in me that spoke to being a successful Miss Boston, and one who could make an impact.

I didn’t even consider the idea that I might walk away with the title, so I hadn’t made any grand plans. I went to a favorite hole in the wall burger joint of mine with my friends and family, had a burger with all the toppings I could fit on it, and then enjoyed a much needed full-nights sleep!

You’ve had pageant success before, having been crowned both Miss Vermont USA and Miss Vermont Teen USA. What made you decide to compete in the Miss America Org at the Miss Boston competition?
I can’t say I’m surprised by this one! I came to the Miss America Organization in a very organic way - I never set out knowing this was my end-goal. I started competing with other organizations during my sophomore year in high school. It began as a way of proving to myself that I was capable of achieving a goal, but turned into an experience much more meaningful than just that. My roots in pageantry are something I will cherish forever as a period of invaluable growth into the woman that I am today, and something I would never change about myself.

Last fall, I took an honest appraisal of my situation in terms of my education and career goals, seeing as I was entering my senior year of college. After a phenomenal and educational internship experience in an Interior Design firm, I decided that was the direction I wanted to take my career in. Simultaneously, I became aware that in order to reach the level of success I desired for myself professionally, I needed to study interior design and architecture in greater depth. I also felt a nagging feeling that I had more to give—that I was doing a disservice to my community by not advocating and sharing my personal experience with food allergies and sensitivities.

Competing in the Miss America system through the Miss Massachusetts programs has enabled me to address and advance all of these objectives. I can propel my education forward, actively pursue my career ambition, and educate my community about the stigmas surrounding dietary restrictions. This opportunity has been the intersection of all of my passions in one perfect storm.

What portion of the upcoming Miss Massachusetts competition are you most nervous about?
I can’t say that the nerves have hit me yet! I’m enjoying the process of organizing and preparing for each phase, getting to know my fellow local titleholder sisters, and diving into the work of being Miss Boston by getting out and getting involved in the community. I’m a firm believer that being Miss Massachusetts is a job that requires a specific mentality. I’m working to grow into what I believe is a true manifestation of who Miss Massachusetts is, so that regardless of the outcome I walk away from this year a more educated and connected person than I was when I began.

You recently started your own vlog. What can you tell me about “Life of Mads”?
Life of Mads has been one of the most exciting, albeit scariest
adventures I’ve ever embarked on. It’s not easy to bare your imperfections and insecurities in front of a global audience—but it’s also one of the most meaningful and freeing decision I’ve ever made. Millions of people across America suffer from food allergies and sensitivities, yet it is still considered a taboo subject that often isn’t believed as legitimate and is a subject of ridicule. I hope that by baring my experiences, and things I’ve learned along the way I can provide a sense of community and make the experience easier on people who are going through the same trials and tribulations that I have.

How did you select your platform, “Food Allergies: The Internal Struggle?
For a long time I hid my sensitivities and reactions to food triggers because I was embarrassed about how people who perceive me once they knew. However, my food sensitivities have significantly influenced my life and overall lifestyle—quite frankly they make me who I am. Statistics show that millions of others also suffer from similar conditions. I came to the realization that it was my duty to share my experience, in order to help others through similar situations—and most of all provide good laugh about the day-to- day hilarity that inevitably ensues from coping with these conditions. I’m a firm believer that laughter is the best medicine.

What is your favorite part about performing your talent, tap dance, on stage?
I absolutely loved my tap dance at the Miss Boston competition—it was exciting, energetic, sassy, and made me feel free in a way that only dancing ever does. I’ve studies so many styles of dance over the years, but I always come back to the pure, unadulterated euphoria I feel in my heart when I get to connect to the music and to the lyrics.

Is there a feature of Fenway Park that you’d like to experience?
Is it cliché to say the first pitch? It’s something that I’ve loved watching since I was a kid, and I think it would be the most incredible experience to be able to do it myself - maybe this year could be my year!

Who is your favorite current Red Sox player? Why?
I’m not sure if he’s my favorite yet, but I’m definitely most interested to see how the season shakes out for J.D. Martinez. There’s been quite the hype around getting him to Boston in the first place, and then consequently how he’ll fit into the lineup. We definitely need a good bat, and I’m keen to see if he can execute.

How do you think the Red Sox will finish the 2018 season?
I’m optimistic for our boys this year! Last year we laid a solid
foundation for ourselves, and now with a couple new additions to the roster I think we have the makings of a successful year. As an athlete myself, I can appreciate the fire that is lit after not finishing a season the way you wished, and I know they’re coming back ready to prove themselves.

---

Definitely agree! I think they're ready to show the world what they can do.

As always, I want to thank Madison for visiting. She is the first Miss Boston to visit with us, and it just seems natural to have her visit. I also want to thank her for sending along the pictures that accompany the interview. They always make for a better post!

As Madison continues her time as Miss Boston, I encourage you to follow her on the official Facebook page and website. I also suggest you check out her vlog "Life of Mads" whenever you can!

And, of course, I want to wish Madison luck this summer when she competes for the Miss Massachusetts crown. Section 36 visitors have performed well at that competition, and it would be amazing to have another one come out on top!

Thanks again Madison, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week