Sunday, November 3, 2013

From the Pedro Binder


2004 Topps World Series Champions

Once again, I need to start off by saying that this card does, in fact, have all four borders. I also need to start with a question. Is Busch Stadium? It looks like the style, but I can't find a pic of the stadium with that arch thing in it. This arch shows up a couple times on Topps cards, and I can't see any world Series logos on either of them. But, in neither case would I expect to. Pedro's hair looks a bit off too. If it's a shot from the World Series, good move by Topps. If not, poor form.

The rest of the card is just fine. It uses the 2005 Topps design, which is still weird. Obviously, the use of the World Series logo is a wonderful touch. I also like how they added "2004 World Series Champions" on the side instead of the team name. It's like they're one in the same. Which, I suppose, they are.

I'll also admit that as weird as it seems, the 2005 design works better for this set than the 2004 would have. In the 2004 set, the team name is the large name across the top. Since this set is all Red Sox, that didn't need to be so prominent. The 2005 design, however, does the exact opposite. It has the players name right up top in big letters. It makes is great when flipping through the set in a binder to see the listing of Champions.

As I've mentioned, a card company can't screw up a set with the World Series logo in it. Topps certainly didn't in this case...other than photo choice.

Can't wait for the 2013 set.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week