Monday, January 12, 2009

Congratulations Jim!

It will be all Red Sox, all the time at the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies this summer. Both Rickey Henderson and Jim Rice were elected for enshrinement. Rickey went in on his first try, while Rice needed his last ups to join the immortals. Both players are former members of the Boston Red Sox, though only Rice will actually “go in” as a member of the Red Sox.

The voting went about as I expected it to. I had previously posted that were it up to me, I would have only voted for Henderson. While I wouldn’t have voted for Rice, I expected him to get the vote. For one thing, people who saw more of him during his playing days than I did keep saying how wonderful he was. Plus, he only ended up seven votes short last year. There was no way that seven people wouldn’t think, “I don’t want to be the guy who makes him miss out on his last chance.” So, I figured he’d collect the votes he needed. Everyone else was left out, as I thought they should be.

So, congratulations to Rickey and Jim. I, for one, can’t wait to hear Henderson’s acceptance speech. It should be must-hear.

Next up, I guess, is the long awaited retirement of Rice’s number 14.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week