Wednesday, August 12, 2020

1975 Topps Page by Page: Page 26 (226-234)

I'm sure that you all remember that I finally completed my 1975 Topps set. 

Now that it's done I thought it would be fun to look through the set and talk about it. Going page by page seemed like a good way to go about it. Hopefully you find it interesting to read what I have to say.

How about we continue with page 26?


Red Sox Cards on the Page:  1. Diego Segui isn't exactly a Red Sox legend. But, he did throw an inning during the great 1975 series.

Cards that make the 1975 Topps set cool: Cards of young Hall of Famers are cool. Catfish Hunter isn't exactly "young" at this point, but George Brett definitely qualifies.

My favorite card on the page: Easily the Brett. Without this card, the idea of completing the set never gets off the ground. I mentioned last time that one of the most appealing aspects of collecting the set in the first place was that at the time there were only the two key rookie cards. And thanks to this Brett, I already had one of them. It doesn't really show up in the pic, but this card is in rough shape. It looks like someone scraped the card over some gravel leaving a string of scratches on the upper right. When I bought this, a good Brett was selling for over $100. I paid $10 for this one, and before I did the card shop owner told me there were probably better ways to spend my money. But, I didn't care. It was a glorious card of a Hall of Famer. And the reason I'm writing this post.


What would your answers to those last two categories be?

4 comments:

  1. George Brett is not my favorite player by a long shot, but that is an iconic card. For me, I like any Billy Grabarkewitz card I can find, even that airbrushed hot mess. One of the best names of the '70s. Plus a Mike Tyson who doesn't bite peoples' ears off LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are we saying that Jim Rice and Gary Carter aren't key rookie cards? I mean, George Brett is the man and Yount is clearly number two, but don't sleep on The Kid!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the time I started collecting the set, the Brett and Yount were $100 cards, while I'm not sure the Carter and Rice were fetching double digits. Agreed, rookie cards of Hall of Famers are easily "key" cards. But, when I started it was Brett/Yount, and everyone else.

      Delete
  3. The coolest card is the Brett.

    But when I was a kid, the coolest card was the Barry Foote. I wanted that card so much.

    ReplyDelete

What people are reading this week