Friday, August 21, 2020

Jessica Thonn Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Jessica Thonn is passionate about helping those

Photo by Little Fish Photography
with mental illness, a talented musician, and the current Miss Dixie Stockshow. I was thrilled that she wanted to visit with us to discuss those topics, and a few more! I’m just as excited that she is the first visitor to Section 36 from the state of Louisiana!

So, let's see what happens when Jessica Thonn visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate winning the Miss Dixie Stockshow crown?

If you know me, you know that I work extremely hard in the months prior to competition, which means I am working hard in the gym and eating extra healthy. After competing at my local pageant, my first stop was a local pizza shop in Rayville, La. I devoured some well deserved carbs that night (haha). 10/10 would recommend.  


What did you learn about yourself at the Miss Dixie Stockshow competition that will help you whenever you compete for Miss Louisiana?

Funny enough, I believe I learned more through my many losses than my first win. Over several years, it took me about 7 local pageants to finally obtain a “Miss” title. When I was an outstanding teen titleholder, I thought I’d never compete in Miss due to my insecurities with my body. I was also dealing with a lot of internal and mental hardships after going through so much at such an early age. After becoming brave enough to share my story regarding my struggles with mental health and sexual assault, I’ve finally gotten the courage to stand confidently and unapologetically on stage. While I do work hard to keep my body healthy and strong, I’m proud to be the girl with a thicker body and a loud voice to share my message. 


Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Dixie Stockshow?

If I help just one person, it would be more than enough. I don’t have a monetary measurement of success. I want to leave people with a little more peace and show them unconditional acceptance and kindness. I would love to work with Mayor Cromer and our St. Tammany Parish school board in an effort to require teachers to obtain a mental health certification to better meet the needs of our adolescents, but I know with the attention being drawn to COVID-19, that may not be the priority of our local officials at this time. Personally, I think it’s perfect timing. 


How did you select your social impact initiative, “Why Add the Pain”?

I initially started it about 10 years ago as a platform to raise awareness and provide

Photo by Steven Palowsky

support to those who were suffering with mental illnesses. In my case, I went undiagnosed with anxiety and depression for many years, which led me to vent that negative emotion through self-harm. Once I finally got the help I needed, I wanted to use my time of darkness to spread a bit of light on others who may have been going through similar circumstances. In December 2019, I decided to open up about my experiences regarding sexual assault and rape. Since then, I have expanded my initiative to include sexual assault and rape awareness/prevention to give a voice to the voiceless and advocate for survivors. 


As a talented singer/guitarist, what do you enjoy most about performing on stage?

I have always experienced some serious anxiety getting on stage to sing. I love public speaking, but I think the vulnerability of singing my own music in front of a large crowd gets to me. The best part is walking off stage knowing I did it- I faced yet another fear of mine. It’s small victories like these that make me feel capable of anything. 


What is your personal fitness routine?

I wake up at 4am each day to go to my 5am CrossFit class. CrossFit is known to be a bootcamp style workout class, but I truly believe it is what keeps me sane during this pandemic. I also like to keep active by playing and running around with my 9 nieces and nephews - 30 minutes with them is all the cardio you need. 


If you could be a Disney Character for a week, who would you choose? Why?

Easy. Anna. She’s brave, kind, and witty. She sees the best in people that others deem as the villain. She loves her family to pieces, and she refuses to let someone hold her back from what she feels is right. Not to mention, she loves chocolate and sandwiches. 


If you had an extra ticket to a Astros-Rays baseball game, who would you take with you? Why?

My boyfriend, Dustin. He is definitely one of the best baseball players I’ve ever met, but I may be a little biased. 


Is there a feature or activity at a baseball game that you’d especially like to 
experience? 

Photo by Danielle Ice Photography

As a singer, you’d expect me to say I would sing the national anthem, but my anxiety says otherwise. I am far from the best pitcher, but I would love to throw the ceremonial first pitch. I’ve always thought it would be an honor, despite my poor pitching skills. 


---


I’ve always thought that would be a lot of fun!


As always, I want to thank Jessica for visiting with us, and for sending along the wonderful pictures to go with the interview.


As Jessica continues her time as Miss Dixie Stockshow, I encourage you to check out her official and personal Instagram account. They're great ways to keep track of everything she has going on!


You should also subscribe to her YouTube channel. Her videos cover a range of topics, and you should be sure to watch them all.


Also, be sure to visit the website for her SII Why Add the Pain. There's lots of great information there that you'll want to check out.


Lastly, I definitely want to wish her the best of luck whenever she competes for the Miss Louisiana title. It would be wonderful to have Section 36 visitor wear that crown!


Thanks again Jessica, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week