Friday, January 19, 2018

Diana Marie Russo Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! Diana Marie Russo is a flautist, an editor, the current Miss Finger Lakes, and (as you may have
noticed) a Yankees fan. As a way of "keeping your friends close, and your enemies closer" I thought it would be fun to have her visit with us to discuss those topics, the Red Sox, and a few more. Thankfully she agreed. I’m sure you’ll be glad she did.

So, let’s see what happens when Diana Marie Russo visits Section 36!


How did you celebrate being crowned Miss Finger Lakes?
I immediately celebrated with my family and closest friends because without their support, my dream of representing the Miss America Organization would have never been possible. Although
my family surprised me with a party after my crowning, I will celebrate the entire year by serving my community. I find joy in being the light in someones life and as Miss Finger Lakes, that is the best way to celebrate this accomplishment. 

Is there a specific goal you’d like to accomplish during your time as Miss Finger Lakes?
My goal as Miss Finger Lakes 2018 is to bring the title of Miss New York back to the region and then bring the title of Miss America back to New York! Besides that, my main goal as Miss Finger Lakes 2018 is to grow my platform, Memories Through Music, Alzheimer’s Awareness. Not only do I watch elders come to life when I share the gift of music with them, but I partner with radio stations to donate radios to Alzheimer’s patients. I want to
spread these programs throughout the Finger Lakes but also New York. I will continue to work with the Alzheimer’s Association and a local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital to carry out events that are currently being planned. As I work with both of these organizations, I hope to inspire hundreds of people and leave a lasting impact. 

What aspect of the upcoming Miss New York competition are you most nervous about?
I don’t know if I can say that I am nervous about Miss New York! I am excited and I like to pride myself on being very confident. I’ve grown up with a competition mindset as a gymnast and a flautist, so I am ready for the challenge! I also dreamed of Miss New York and Miss America for quite some time now, so I am ready. 

How did you select your platform, "Memories Through Music, Alzheimer’s Awareness"?
My grandmother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and she inspired
Photo by
East Way Photography
me to create my platform, Memories Through Music, Alzheimer’s Awareness. Although I was young and didn’t understand my grandmother’s disease, I regret not cherishing the time I had with my grandmother prior to her diagnosis. If I can create a moment of normalcy and joy for a family experiencing Alzheimer’s then I feel at peace. 

As a talented flautist, what do you like most about playing on stage?
I like performing on stage because I feel like I am carrying on a family tradition. My grandfather and his siblings were musicians, my mother is a musician and I am a musician. I feel pride as I represent my family and my platform. My flute has the power to change lives because music connects the mind to the soul and when I perform, I know that is exactly what I am doing.

You’re the editor-in-chief of the Cardinal Courier. What do you find most challenging about that role?
Photo by East Way Photography
This is a very challenging role because I am responsible for almost everything. Producing a magazine, creating online content, organizing meetings, teaching students and overseeing the entire group is a lot of work. Balancing that responsibility with other obligations takes passion, dedication and leadership skills, which has taught me how to be a disciplined titleholder. Although it can be difficult, the most rewarding part is watching a young journalist succeed. 

As a Yankees fan, who is your favorite Red Sox player?
I always liked David Ortiz because he is a great player with a lot of class. He respects the game of baseball and he is known to be a clutch hitter. 

What was your favorite Aaron Judge memory?
Besides witnessing a Judge home run at Rogers Centre, my favorite Aaron Judge memory was watching him hit the longest home run in the season by any baseball player. This hit was recorded at over 500 feet at Yankee Stadium. 

What are you most looking forward to about the 2018 baseball season?
I am excited to watch Giancarlo Stanton and Aaron Judge in the same batting line up. They are two of the most powerful hitters in the league and I can’t wait to see what they do for the Yankees. 

-------

I'm very interested to see how that turns out myself!

As always, I want to give huge thanks to Diana for doing this interview. She did a fantastic job. It was a lot of fun to have my first visit from a New York titleholder. I also want to thank her for providing all of the amazing pictures to accompany the interview. Even the ones with the interlocking N-Y in them really spruced up the post!

As Diana continues her time as Miss Finger Lakes, I encourage you to follow her on the official "Miss Finger Lakes and Upstate NY" Facebook page and Instagram account. 

There are also some wonderful websites you need to see. Definitely check out Diana's personal website to catch up on all the great information posted there. Also, be sure to visit the official websites for both Miss Finger Lakes and Miss New York. If you do all that, you'll be sure not to miss a thing Diana does!

I also want to wish Diana luck when she competes for the Miss New York Crown! It would be so much fun to have a Section 36 visitor bring home that crown!

Thanks again Diana, and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week