Thursday, March 23, 2017

From The Pedro Binder


2001 Fleer Futures

This is an interesting dynamic to a card. On the surface, it's a simple design. Reminds me a bit of 1959 Topps, actually. A simple gray background with a circle. I even like the circular hole, even though I'm not quite sure what it's implying it is. As usual, I'm a sucker for pictures expending beyond a border. So, I enjoy that part of it. But, what's interesting to me is the background in the hole. It's the background of the picture. But, Pedro himself is entirely on this side of the hole. So, he's not stepping through the hole. He was simply removed from the picture, and this gray wall went behind him.

And then the wall was covered with gold dirt. Like, glued onto the wall. The card actually has a gritty feel to the surface. Where did that idea come from? 

But, if you ignore the sand, and the odd hole, it actually comes together nicely. 

I just have no idea why. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week