Friday, March 31, 2017

Emily Thomas Visits Section 36!

Section 36 has another visitor! You may remember that just over a
Photo by Robby Trottier
year ago, Section 36 was lucky enough to get a visit from Alissa Musto just after she was crowned Miss Cambridge. This year, we get to do it again. It's been just over a month since Emily Thomas was crowned Miss Cambridge herself. She was nice enough to visit with us to discuss her title, the Red Sox, and more.

So, let see what happens when Emily Thomas visits Section 36!

Which part of the Miss Boston/Cambridge competition were you most nervous about?
Probably onstage question. It's the most nerve-wracking because it's the phase that you have the least control over. You know exactly what to expect for every other phase of competition, but with onstage question you don't know what question is going to be asked of you. 

Your platform is “From STEM to STEAM adding arts into Science ED”. Why is adding the arts to science so important?
When we traditionally think of the sciences, we think of them as being separate from creativity and artistry. In reality, those things go hand in hand. We need students to be able to develop hands-on creativity skills because they are so valuable in the work force. It's not enough just to know content and information; you have to be able to apply that information to creatively solve problems and think outside the box. How else can we expect people to engineer the next iPhone or design the next drug to fight cancer?

You’re an avid hiker. What is it about hiking that draws you to it?
For me, hiking is an escape. I live a pretty hectic life, but once I hit the trail it's like I can shut all that off for a few hours. It's also a great way to stay in shape. I hardly ever hit the gym in the summer because I'm able to hike so often during the nice weather and can rely on that for my exercise. 

How did you celebrate being crowned Miss Cambridge?
Well, the Miss Boston/Cambridge competition happened to fall on the same day as the Super Bowl, so I celebrated with a group of friends watching the Super Bowl! 

What are you most looking forward to during your time as Miss Cambridge?
This is the last year that I am eligible based on age to compete in the Miss America system, and so I really want to make the most of this year. Aside from prepping for Miss Massachusetts, I really want to take advantage of the many opportunities to volunteer in the city of Cambridge. I particularly
want to work with the youth and promote my platform. There are a few opportunities for that in the works right now, and I am very excited about it. 

Other than Section 36, where do you (or where would you) like to sit in Fenway?
The few Red Sox games that I've been to, I've sat in the bleachers, but I think it would be great to sit in one of the field boxes right behind the catcher. I'm sure that would be a great experience!

What were you doing when the Red Sox won the 2013 World Series?
I remember this so well! I was living in a dorm at Merrimack College, it was my sophomore year. Right outside my building there was an outdoor basketball court, and when the Red Sox won everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, flooded the basketball court in celebration. It was awesome. 

This will be the first Red Sox season in a while without David Ortiz. What's your favorite Ortiz memory?
I used to watch the Red Sox with my dad all the time as a kid. David Ortiz was always the iconic Red Sox player that I remember. A more specific memory was when I was a little bit older, after the Boston Marathon bombing. I remember the short speech David Ortiz gave reminding everyone to stay strong and how proud he was to wear a uniform that said "Boston". 

How do you think the Red Sox will finish the 2017 season?

I'd like to equate this question to pageant life: I find it extremely important to think positively when it comes time to compete, which means that I need to believe whole-heartedly that I have done my best to prepare and that I'm going to take home the crown whenever I step on stage. If you don't have that kind of confidence, then you won't perform the same. So, with that being said, the Red Sox will obviously make it to the World Series this year! 

------------------

She's obviously right! Although, I'd like to take that optimism one step farther!

As always, a huge thank you to Emily for taking the time to visit. She gave some fantastic answers, and I hope you enjoyed them. And, another big thanks for supplying so many great pictures to go along with the interview. They really make the post much better than it would be otherwise.

If you'd like to keep up with Emily during her time as Miss Cambridge, check out her official Facebook and Instagram accounts. You can also check out the Miss Boston/Cambridge website.

And, of course, I'd like to wish Emily luck at the Miss Massachusetts competition this summer. After all, the last Miss Cambridge to visit Section 36 went on to win the Miss Massachusetts crown too! Good Luck!

Thanks again Emily!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What people are reading this week